What could have Kubota done better?

G

In my opinion, Kubota really did the RTV right especial considering that its a very unlike anything else. What do you think they could have done better? What features would put it over the top.

One thing I thought of would be a take off of deere's ehydro. Maybe an electronic way to soften the abrupt stopping motion. Yes, if you drive it you can get used to it. I just wish there was a way to make it more friendly.

I'd also like to see a factory electric dump kit.

G

In my opinion, Kubota really did the RTV right especial considering that its a very unlike anything else. What do you think they could have done better? What features would put it over the top.

One thing I thought of would be a take off of deere's ehydro. Maybe an electronic way to soften the abrupt stopping motion. Yes, if you drive it you can get used to it. I just wish there was a way to make it more friendly.

I'd also like to see a factory electric dump kit.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Neil,
For its first year out, it's definitely a great machine. As do most things that are new, there's a few minor things but as a whole, they did a great job.
A couple things I saw that they've corrected already include:
Cable to hold seat from hitting dash when opened.
Rubber mat to cover radiator and stuff under seat.
Spark arrestor at exhaust tip.
Lock-tite on linkage nuts.

I like the fact dealers can now select the tires for each machine being ordered.

For the trannys abrupt stopping, I believe there is a change. Don't have the specifics on it yet but I was at the dealer and one of the salesman hopped on an RTV and took off. Being used to the quick stop (when you let off the pedal), he took for granted this would happen. IT DIDN'T and he coasted. Scared the !#$&. out of him as he almost hit another piece of equipment.
He had to go but mentioned something about there being a capability to turn some fork around and it has the pedal come back slowly and stops it from the normal quasi-instant stopping. I'm waiting to hear what this is.

I guess my biggest gripe with the RTV would be the pricing and availability of accessories in general.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Neil,
For its first year out, it's definitely a great machine. As do most things that are new, there's a few minor things but as a whole, they did a great job.
A couple things I saw that they've corrected already include:
Cable to hold seat from hitting dash when opened.
Rubber mat to cover radiator and stuff under seat.
Spark arrestor at exhaust tip.
Lock-tite on linkage nuts.

I like the fact dealers can now select the tires for each machine being ordered.

For the trannys abrupt stopping, I believe there is a change. Don't have the specifics on it yet but I was at the dealer and one of the salesman hopped on an RTV and took off. Being used to the quick stop (when you let off the pedal), he took for granted this would happen. IT DIDN'T and he coasted. Scared the !#$&. out of him as he almost hit another piece of equipment.
He had to go but mentioned something about there being a capability to turn some fork around and it has the pedal come back slowly and stops it from the normal quasi-instant stopping. I'm waiting to hear what this is.

I guess my biggest gripe with the RTV would be the pricing and availability of accessories in general.

heehaw

Kubota could have come up with a better name than RTV: almost everyone else came up with catchy names that my GRANDkids keep wantin to call the orange machine. other than that, its a great piece of equipment.</P>

heehaw</P>

A refridgerator would be nice that way my wife wouldn't have to keep running out with a cold one!! A dually version would be nice!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I am very please with my RTV. And if something would happen to this one today. Tommorrow, I would buy another in a heartbeat !!!! But I do agree with bczoom, on the accessories subject ...Wish they wouldstart considering putting a compartment of such under the hood to carry items. And make space in the dash to install a radio, put a milage meter in the speedometer, and a inside cab light on the 900's .... All of these I can live without, but it would be a plus if they came from the factory with some, if not all I listed. </P>

Oh yes, I almost forgot >>>> A BETTER OWNERS MANUAL THAT COVERS EVERYTHING, INCLUDING THE TWO STAGE TRANSMISSION OPERATION **** ( wouldn't have known how to do it if it wasn't for the great folks at Compact Tractor Review !!! )</P>

Knowing what I do know now, I will never own nothing else but a Kubota RTV, either a 900, 1100, or any new one thatKubota may come up with. You can bet one thing, it will be a KUBOTA !!!</P>

DougK

The transmission relief valve should be on the drive selection lever not the console next to the 12v outlet.

griffman

I would like to see a bigger bed with 6k payload and the towing capacity of 24k. Oh yeah thats what the new F450 is for. I like her just the way she is. Well let me correct that, even with the hydro dump valve she is a little tough to go into reverse at times.I just nudge the throttle and she goes right in.

coobie

I only have 2 complaints,kubota needs to relocate the park brake lever and horn button,other than that is is one great machine.coobie[:D]

Jiles

Only SMALL issues--- There are too many rattles. The front drive shaft splines should be tighter. A tachometer would be much better then a speedometer. Not much chance of getting a speeding ticket![:)]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
All of the above and add backup lights to the tail lights and for sure move the horn to the steering wheel. Some kind of built in dome light would be nice. Bordercollie[&]

solitude

The transmission stop is the most important thing they should fix for sure.I just got my rtv900 a couple weeks ago so it has less then 10 hours on it,Sometimes it stops fine other times almost puts you through the winshield.
Seems to stop better as it gets warmed up.
Hopefully when gets more time on it maybe
it will stop better.Other then that a great machine.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
It will get better, or should I say, you will get better at letting off the pedal. It just takes time, like you, I have slung everybody in the windshield, my wife once made the remark, " IF YOU WANT TO WAKE UP * TAKE A RIDE IN THE RTV >>>Another thinga friend said was " If you want to break someone from drinking & driving, give them the Keys to a RTV " >>> Thank God, it's better now, I can glide it in with no problems, Practice * Practice * Practice >>>>>

labaherd

How about moving the key? this way you can't hitit with your knee and turn it on, or change the hr meter so it only runs when the engine is running.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Some thoughts/comments based on recent posts:
heehaw - "Kubota could have come up with a better name than RTV". If they had a catchy name for it, it would be harder for each of us to come up with our own names for it. There's a thread here where we talked about the different names we've each given ours.

I agree that moving the horn button would be nice.

For those that are proposing more "accessories" (e.g. back-up and dome lights), although I do agree, I can see Kubota's point on not having all these included. Each owner has different requirements on what's needed. If the manufacturer adds all this stuff, they can price themself out of sales. Since these start at over $10,000 already, adding even more could scare away sales.

Jiles - if your front drive shaft is rattling, check with your dealer. I don't recall what year you have but the older RTV's had an issue with the rattling and there was a fix offered which replaced the yokes on the shaft.

Re. moving the key due to leg bumping, I'm not tall enough for that to be an issue for me but I have seen others have this issue. Actually, I'd like to see about 3" added to the overall length of the RTV, all of it being for more leg room. Hey labaherd - someone leave your key on and rack up your hour meter?

labaherd

The knuckle head that did it was me. I've done it 3 or4 times. I have 156 hrs on mine and 4 or 5 hrs it never ran. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="labaherd"]The knuckle head that did it was me. I've done it 3 or4 times. I have 156 hrs on mine and 4 or 5 hrs it never ran. [/quote]
Well, that's not bad. I know people that have left it on for a weekend or longer. Just unplug it for 4 or 5 hours to get it back in sync.

Oh, you have to have it running for those 4 or 5 hours for it to count. Unplugging it over night doesn't do anything for you. [:D][:p][;)] Dang. Hey Neil, where's a "big laugh" smiley? Just messing with 'ya labaherd.

doggman

Other than a few big items that will never happen I'd like to see a new latch system for the tailgate. Something that wouldn't smash your fingers, that you could do with one hand, and that wouldn't sound like a rattlesnake roundup...</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="doggman"]Other than a few big items that will never happen[/quote]
We're just shooting the breeze here. Care to elaborate? We can always wish...