spray rig reply

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
NVBADBOY , Welcome!!Thisisa great site. I also have a RTV that I use for spraying. When our 500 gallon tractorsprayer went out 2 yrs ago, I had a Mule and had.bought a 25 gallon sprayer [12volt] with wand to spray fence lines with. Anyway , I added a 12' boom and was very pleased.I thought I would improve this year with the RTV and a gas pump.and a 55 gallon barrel for a tank.The biggest trouble with a boom is "hanging"it on a fence when you get too close or if your weeds are taller than your boom.your coverage won't be as good. I sprayed over 100 acres of pasture before I tore off a tip {buy extra} I would stay with a 12 volt for small areas and fence lines.I came off the receiver with a stand for my boom. What will you be spraying? I use an off brand Roundup to kill fenceline weeds.[ it killswhat it touches with no residual]I use 2 qts of "roundup"per 25 gallons of water and can spray a lot depending on density of weeds. Grazon is a selective herb and I used 2 -3 pt in 12 gallons of water per acre to control bad weeds in the small pasture areas. Good Luck !! Let me know if I can help.[&][&][:)]Bordercollie</P>

NVBadBoy

Hi Bordercollie,

I'll be spraying drive ways (we have over 1 mile of road from the
county road to the house) and a line around the perimeter of our 163
acres. The road is 20 feet wide, with 35 foot wide turns where
the switch-backs are. I've been using the Roundup Concentrate and use
anywhere from 5-7% roundup per gallon. These weeds are really
stubborn and short of taking a dozer blade across the top, nothing
stops them from coming back.

I thought about a 55 gallon container, but I'd need a way to get it in
and out of the bed. I suppose a small chain-hoist and a frame for
keeping it suspended would do the trick. I've been checking out
the various link the other members provided and the boom is what I'll
probably end up with. There are no fences on the road and I'll
keep a fair distance from the fence around the property, which is a
square piece.

How do you keep the 55 gal barrel from tipping over inside the
bed? I have to maneuver over some rough terrain and one part of
the approach to the house is pretty steep. The longer road has
shallow slope to the top of the hill, but it is longer. If there
is a square container that holds 55 gallons, I could probably adapt
some kind of bulkhead fitting to it for the hoses.

I'll let you know by next week which route I'll go with.

NVBadBoy

G

Hi NVBADBOY, I really prefer my 25 gallon 12 volt. It weighs less than20lbs empty., plus storage is so easy sideways end ways etc also a lot cheaper. When I had to be a ways from water I would take 5 gallon containers with me.If you have clean empty5 gallon oil buckets, they already have a spout. also Coke/soft drink plants will sometimes sell 10 gallon plastic containers cheap.I have limited strength so this is really better for me.I have flat land so tipping the 55G isn't a problem. When I had a lot of ruts I would use a rachet tie down. A bare 55 g flat tank at the farm supply is about $120 then the 12 volt and lines would be that again. I would get a 25 already together ready to go and up grade to the big tank if I was unhappy. The25g spot sprayer is whats in my rtv now and I spray about 600 acres of fence with it 3x plus a summer. When I bought it from Agri-Supply about 5 yrs ago , it was less than 140$.The boom was about$110 at the local farm store A pull behind would be nice if not too expensive. Good Luck on you decision !![&][&][:)]Bordercollie

G

NVBB ,I think you will be pleased with your choice. Todd will also be there if and when you need parts. Once youkeep those weeds from seeding out, you will eventually spend less and less time spraying. {That selective herbicide that I use in early winter[ Grazon]keeps sticker weeds and others at bay for most of the summer,all while letting the grassgrow the pasture.Happy spraying!!Bordercollie