Anybody importing the AF models yet?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I know the Ke models have made their way here to the US. But have the AF models made it yet?

Attachments

• AF17D.jpg
    AF17D.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 9
  • AF24D.jpg
    AF24D.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 12

Mark777

Can’t say that I’ve seen any of the most popular dealer/importers bringing them in but I have seen a few (2) new potential owners asking questions. (Questions that go unanswered)

The YM’s have had a good run but IMHO, the supplies are diminishing and the F and FX models are rapidly replacing them. Ernie (Ernie’s Imports) currently brings in the F and FX exclusively. If the trend of gray market Yanmars continue it may be several years before the Ke and AF models gain popularity. What may be holding them back is the strength of the dollar vs. the Yen.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter

Yeah. Yanmar-USA does everything they can to discourage gray-market imports.

But the gray Yanmar industry in the US is booming, running parallel but separate alongside Yanmar's own support for the far lesser number of tractors Yanmar sold through their US dealers long ago.

When I went looking to put a ROPS on my US version Yanmar, Yanmar-USA said they hadn't ordered any from the fabricator for 20+ years. Long gone.

But Fredricks, a large gray importer, recently went to the same OSHA-certified fabricator in Minnesota(?) that Yanmar had used and had them produce ROPS for most (all?) of the gray models that Fredricks imports.

I now have a ROPS that has an OSHA tag certifying it for the Japan-market twin of my tractor, but they can't add my model number on that tag because I didn't obtain it through Yanmar-USA. The gray channel support is better than that provided by the original importer, and in this case the part comes from the exact same factory.

For service parts like the water pump, muffler, fuel tank etc, there are under $100 replica parts, probably made in China, that seem to be as good as stuff that comes from NAPA. Likewise the stuff you need for a major overhaul is available, but it will likely be shipped cross country from one of the half-dozen major support sites. These things are like old Mustangs or Jeeps, the parts will be out there for years.

The gray Yanmars are well supported, just not by Yanmar-USA.

The legal situation for the Kubota trademark is different. I don't understand what the difference is, but Kubota has a court order telling Customs to refuse landing any gray Kubota. Canada isn't bound by this order, gray Kubotas are legal there. I think any gray Kubota you might find in the US is near-unsupportable.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting that you post that link Paul. I think Yanmar Japan has increased their safety awareness a bit. I see that the AF series, that I asked about, has a ROPS, which is one of the items listed in Yanmars Gray Market article. The newer Ke100 and Ke200 series have the ROPS and what appears to be PTO cover for both the Mid and rear PTO. I have no idea about the throttle control, which also is listed in the article.

I think most of the legitimate dealers/importers in the US are aware of the above items and probably make their customers aware of them as well.

runningbird

I looked at an AF model this week. I was not impressed. A lot more plastic on these tractors, although it is a nice grade and flexible. The motor was quiet. Getting on and off was easy and when you are sitting you have lots of room. Hummmmm I guess the tractor was ok. I think I just like the older design more and more.
Also it's kind of funny, I have been hearing for a couple years now that the ym models are going to run out. Somehow they just keep on showing up. In fact it seems like the last few I have bought have been in better shape than ever.