RTV for paralysed person

clarkauto

My sister is paralysed from the chest down and we are looking for a utility type vehicle for her to get around the farm with. Today, we went and test drove the Kubota RTV, Polaris Ranger and the Yamaha Rino. Right off the bat there was no question in my mind that the Ranger was nothing special. The only nice thing about it was the suspension. Everything else was very flimsy. The RTV seemed extremely nice although we were only able to try it out on flat ground which is not the terrain it would be used on. Her Boyfriend also really liked the fact that he would be able to do alot of work with it when she was not using it. Three things that we didn't like about it listed in order of importance. The ride is rough, 25mph top speed and the seats are very uncomfortable. In my mind the only negative thing about it is the ride. It does not have much travel and seems fairly rough over bumps. One thing that I really liked about it was the engine braking, it would mean that she wouldn't have to switch from the gas to the brake as much. The Rino seems to be a very nice machine. I really liked the suspension on it, the ride was very nice. Her boyfriend really liked the 42mph top speed. What I didn't like was the brakes, they seemed very weak. Good brakes are very important because she will not be able to apply as much pressure to the pedal with a hand control as would be possible with your leg. The dilema is which to get. The Rino or the RTV? From the aspect of a paralysed person is the speed and suspension the the Rino has outweigh all the nice rugged things that the RTV has? I welcome all information from personal experiences with these machines that would be applicable to a paralysed person using them. As far as fabricating hand controls, neither maching will be a problem. thanks for your input.</P>

Isaac.</P>

clarkauto

My sister is paralysed from the chest down and we are looking for a utility type vehicle for her to get around the farm with. Today, we went and test drove the Kubota RTV, Polaris Ranger and the Yamaha Rino. Right off the bat there was no question in my mind that the Ranger was nothing special. The only nice thing about it was the suspension. Everything else was very flimsy. The RTV seemed extremely nice although we were only able to try it out on flat ground which is not the terrain it would be used on. Her Boyfriend also really liked the fact that he would be able to do alot of work with it when she was not using it. Three things that we didn't like about it listed in order of importance. The ride is rough, 25mph top speed and the seats are very uncomfortable. In my mind the only negative thing about it is the ride. It does not have much travel and seems fairly rough over bumps. One thing that I really liked about it was the engine braking, it would mean that she wouldn't have to switch from the gas to the brake as much. The Rino seems to be a very nice machine. I really liked the suspension on it, the ride was very nice. Her boyfriend really liked the 42mph top speed. What I didn't like was the brakes, they seemed very weak. Good brakes are very important because she will not be able to apply as much pressure to the pedal with a hand control as would be possible with your leg. The dilema is which to get. The Rino or the RTV? From the aspect of a paralysed person is the speed and suspension the the Rino has outweigh all the nice rugged things that the RTV has? I welcome all information from personal experiences with these machines that would be applicable to a paralysed person using them. As far as fabricating hand controls, neither maching will be a problem. thanks for your input.</P>

Isaac.</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Isaac,</P>

First, welcome to the forum.</P>

The RTV and Rhino are 2 very different machines. The Rhino is move of a play machine with limited work capabilities, the RTV is more work with limited play.</P>

This is a really tough call. I'm going to basethese thoughtsprimarily on your sisters requirements and not on the work capabilites.
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head in the pros/cons of each. I would strongly propose that you get a demo version of each brought out to your place and drive it on your terrain. I believe this step will definitely make one machine stand out as the better choice.
I would concur the Rhino is softer on rough terrian and obviously faster. I guess my question is what would be the normal traveling speed and how rough is your terrain?
The engine braking on the RTV is invaluable on hills. I'm in a very hilly area and on most days, I'll run the RTV all day and never touch the brake pedal. The power steering is very beneficial when cornering.</P>

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Brian</P>