light brush with katrina keeps RTV rolling

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have really learned to appreciate my RTV this past month. We live hours from the coast so we had very little damage from Katrinaunlike my neighbors to the coast. We had no power or landline phones for 9 days even then!!I used the RTV as a ladder to tie up our shutters,used it to haul a generator to the house, to haul gas from the farm tank to the generator,to clear fences of trees and to do just about everything.Even used it to clean out the dreaded freezer.As soon as I get through cutting limbs and trees out of the way ,I plan to try out that hydraulic dump. I will have a lot of firewood.Too may fence supplies in it now.Today I picked up a dumpload of dried corn.[My neighbor had 1100 acres blow down]He still harvested about 65%. I also will never complain about the noise the RTV makes after listening to that generator.!!That diesel milage is great too. I didn't have to worry about fuel .Unlike that gas guzzling generator, I knew I could go almost forever on a tankful of diesel .Thanks ,Bordercollie

G

Glad to hear your doing well. I can't imagine what things must look like down there, especialy 1100 acres of flatted corn.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear you came out OK but sorry to hear aboutthe damage. You used it to clean out the freezer? You didn't loose the contents due to the power outage, did you?</P>

The RTV does get great mileage. I get around 2 hours/gallon.</P>

Brian</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Guys, Yes, the freezer contentswas lost.The generator was used for the well and limited house functions .The freezer was at the barn. I was able to rig up a small window unit ac so we could sleep cool. I used the RTV to even haul and install it in a small room.South Mississippi was hit hard unlike us.I feel really bad for them. They have been pretty much ignored by the media.We just lost some trees and we still have a home.It has rained about 7" today [remains of Rita]So I am tired of hurricanes.My neighbors were glad to get what corn they did get off of the ground . a little loss instead of a biggg one.Now they will be trying to pick cotton which this rain hasn't helped at all. I will be thinking about buying a set of mud grips for the RTV.I was really narrow minded and bought my RTV with worksite tires. I'm thinking about getting a set with rims so that I can keep a set for dry weather and a winter set. Can you buy the basic steel rims for lessor the chromes about the same? I will need a set that can really dig out as I go through some bad stuff . I also have noticed that I can't climb a steep levee or rise in medium or high.That isn't good when trying to tag calves.I have been looking at the bear claws at Gemplers but I would still need rims.Thanks Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I always give the freezer first dibs on generator power but mine is a huge chest freezer that contains meat only. Hate to loose $500-$1000 (depending on time of year) worth of meat.</P>

For the tires, I like the Maxxis Bighorn's. I got them with chrome rims (from Todd's site) but they would fit the OEM rims. Not sure of the price difference on the rims, but to be honest, once I went with the Bighorns, my OEM HDWS + rims just sit in a shed. Neil - can you help? What do OEM rims cost?</P>

Brian</P>

G

I'm not at work now, but I would expect about $300 for rims and tires if purchased though wholegoods. If though parts is probably 2-3x that. </P>

G

[quote user="Anonymous"]

I'm not at work now, but I would expect about $300 for rims and tires if purchased though wholegoods. If though parts is probably 2-3x that. </P>

[/quote]</P>

maybe I should turn off this anonymous posting. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Anonymous"]

[/quote]</P>

Neil, do you have a price on rims only? If so, can you also post the Part Number?</P>

G

Things like tires are always better to order though a salesmen instead of over the parts counter. The markup on parts is much higher than wholegood items. RTV tires are $100/ea for rubber and rims ($150 for worksite). I'm willing to bet that the rims alone though the parts dept are probably more expensive. </P>

G

Thanks for the reply. I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy sometires!!. I already have 420 hrs on this machine and have really enjoyed the ease of getting in and out when tagging calves. The cows are quite use to the diesel now and I can still slip upon quite a few sleeping calves. That is true about the freezer.. we tried taking the generator back and forth but the cows kept knocking around the empty troughs, and then the fridge was without power too long. Nobody had power.. few even in Jackson. So that milk etc had to stay cold. It wasn't really safe to go to Jackson ,without power /no gas ,people were really unruly that week.The house and well won.Thanks again. Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie,</P>

420 hours!!! Man, you're really putting the hours on it. I just wish I had enough land and use to do the same.</P>

Keep that milk cold... I grew up on a dairy farm. Nothing worse than having to dump the tanks after loosing power and loosing everything on hand.</P>

Brian</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You are right about that milk. We don't have a dairy but we heard lots of sad stories about dairies unable to milk or feed/water down south of us.I understand farmers from other states sent some hay but that did take a while to get moving as the roads wereblocked.We raise commercial beef/ reg. Angus.I am starting to get the big K ready for winter. This is our busy time of year. I just love driving the K over the farm. I did hit a really deep hole the other day and about cleaned out the bed.she still drives great . I just LOVE that power steering.I do need back up lights though. I can't believe Kubota overlooked that.I switch on my worklight to back up so that does help. I also need to adjust that parking switch as my light doesn't always come on.I need to load the feed wagon so thanks for your time..Bordercollie