homemade cab

malojeer

I just finished building a cab out of 1/4 acrylic plexiglass. Since it is clear all around and on top my neighbor calls it th popemobile. Built it for around $200.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Malojeer, I really like that cab enclosure. I have a plastic roof and work lights but I believe I could rig up something like your windshield that would reduce the windchill. How did you handle the bend ? I was thinking I would have to put a piece of angle there with muffler clamps . I store a lot of fence clips etc under my hood so I would have to access that. Thanks for any help. Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie,</P>

Do a search on e-bay for "O-Clamp". They're used for DJ Lighting systems. They work very well for attaching things to the ROPS (get the 2" ones). My windshield is 2 piece (due to the ROPS bend) and I can remove it in about 1 minute using these clamps since they're quick release.</P>

Malojeer,</P>

I sat out next to the RTV last night for an hour (over a beer or 2 to get the creative flow going). I was thinking of your cab and how to utilize/make something like that for mine. My roof is different which will cause an issue but still kicking things around. Question - can you post a pic of the drivers side? I'm looking at your cab and it appears the grab bar on the passenger side (next to the seat) is on the outside of the cab. Is that true? If so, what's it like on the drivers side since the diff lock and tilt controls are in that area.</P>

Brian</P>

malojeer

you are right the plexiglass goes inside the grab bar,that way i did not have to bend it.I fastenedPG to grabbar with 2 u bolts.</P>

Used rotozip to cut out square for dump control lock, dump lever right inside almost against PG,doesn't bother diff lock.Fastened a piece of square rubber piece as a flap to cover hole. To bend Plexiglass for windshield figure size you want ,mine is 49"wide x 36" tall since sheet comes in 36"x72".only had to cut once.clamp at bottom of Ropes with 2 c-clamps and where Ropes bends heat plexiglass with a torch.I used a cutting torch set low. Probably a propane torch would do also.Continually move torch back and forth across PG in line with bend inRopes.Do not letflame stay in one place.Pushing at top so that it folds and follows frame when hot enough.Hold in position or clamp at top untill cools. If you get too hot will cause bubbling to take place.I practiced on a small piece beforehand. After it cooled.I heated and bent top to followtop pipes of the Ropes. Did the samewith roof followed the contour of Ropes. Hopes this helps you.</P>

malojeer

Oh i forgot you can get rubber coated clamps at any company that sells industrial hoses such as hydraulic hoses. I improvised with clamps from the plumbing dept. at lowe's

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to a windshield.{ I bought a set of mudtires and rims on e bay andnow I can go just about anywhere} So once I get a windshield rigged up ,I will have no excuses as to why I can't work in the back forty. 560 hrs and counting.Thanks again, Bordercollie

Ricochet

Very cool...good job! </P>

Yep, a nice torch will put the bend you need in the plexi-glass...I've seen it done. </P>

G

You are famous now! Someone copied your picturse into an email and has been forwarding them around different dealers. One of our parts guys just sent me pics of your cab. Nice Job! They are calling it the new Pope mobile!</P>

</P>