Tailgate latch finger smasher warning...

doggman

I don't know if I'm the only guy that has done this but here's a warning about what not to do...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></P>

Don't grab the top edge of the tailgate 3 or 4 inches inside fromeitherlatch and slam it shut.If your finger is unlucky enough to be under the tailgate lip but above the end of the black latch rod, it's going to getcrushed as thelatch is closing.When the outside end of the latch rod rides up over the ramp into the locked position slot it works like a cam and follower. The other end of the latch, the part that you usually lift up to open the tailgate, moves in the opposite direction and it's a crusher if you get something caught between it and the tailgate lip. A walnut wouldn't stand a chance...</P>

I don't think I broke my fingertip but I'll lose the nail eventually. Now, if can stop hitting my head on the ROPS I think I'll be okay. </P>

Kubota could probably make a one handed tailgate latch like a pickup or SUV tailgate and not have to charge too much extra for it. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the heads-up.
I removed the OEM box pretty much the day I bought the RTV so I've never been aware of that issue. (I built my own box).