Withdrawal pains

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The day I've put off has come. I been without the Hoss for 2 days!! It's really hard .. I'm getting the warranty work done and having the valve clearance checked before my year is up. I knew it would be hard but good grief I MISS that thing!! Even the collies are looking around for it. Since I got the mud lite tires,I don't even have a good excuse fortaking it in. I just can't hardly get stuck.My seat has cracked[ Warranty]as well as the rattle{warranty}. My fuel cap also leakedand they are doing a quick fix on that. I really believe the RTV is way better than the in laws ATV. I've been using it and have to use 4 wd where I've been using the HOSS in2wd!!I've threatened to take the doors off the old rattletrap truck but it still wouldn't compare. See how crazy I 'm getting without it!!I love this machine!! I MISS MY RTV!!I got to go find another box of tissues.. 640 hours and counting .Thanks, Bordercollie</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I understand your pain...

Mine has been sitting a lot since everything here is pretty much mud. Can't take it into the yard or anything.

Why 2 days (and counting)? I would have expected they could turn it around in 1 day.

I do believe you have more hours on yours than anyone else. Heck, I'm still under 200 hours.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks BC . They had to order the parts. I guess they were out of stock. I didn't buy from them but they have been really nice. They also were impressed with my polished rims and were unaware of the aftermarket rims.{I got the mudlites and rims for less than 500 on eBay.} . They will tear up your yard but the cows don't really care... so they work fine for me.I "zoom"by the troughs and ,with all the rain we've had, you can hardly walk without the muck pulling your boots off.] I do stay out of the yard] .The RTV just keeps going!! I use my Hoss every day...fixing fences checking thingsor helpingto move the herd .I just believe it is the best machine around now that I know how to use the trans to my advantage along with the right tires.the only thing I would want different would be backup lights, air filter intake higher, and an oil stick under the seat.{I feel sorry for the folks with a manual lift when it comes time to check the oil.}It takes me 30 min. to unload my toolbox!!I have it bolted on the floor along oneside.Everything but the kitchen sink is in that thing.My trans seems to be working better over the hours too.I can honestly say I wouldn't take what I paid for it right now if I couldn't have another one.Absence does make the heart grow fonder!! More tissues!!Thanks ,Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you're back and rocking!!!!

Back-up lights are pretty easy to setup. I've got a whole bunch on mine... It's going on 2am so I'm too tired to find/post pics but if you're interested, I'll post pics of my B/U lights. They're not integrated with the tranny being put into reverse which actually works well for me since I use 98% of the time when I don't want the tranny in gear (i.e. connecting a trailer at night or just ambient light off the rear of the RTV when parked).

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks BC! I would really like info on the backup lights. I could rig up something but I am sure you have it down and tried and true. I plan to rig up toggle switches for the extra work lights but I haven't decided the wheres and hows yet.Thanks again!! Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BC

For rearward facing lights:
I have 4, which get turned on individually based on what area I want/need to light.
Using the attached pics:

There's one under the cargo box. This is a standard tractor type light that's in a sealed rubber case. For this one, I also put a quick-disconnect near the back so I can unplug the light and use the wiring harness for other things (fertilizer/salt spreader, 12v pump for sprayer...) and control power from the seat.

On either side of the rear cage (under the speakers) are more of these lights. They are on swivels (they come that way) and the swivels are kept just snug so I can turn the lights rearwards (as pictured) or outwards (to illuminate the sides).

Stashed up high (center, just below the roof) is a Warn trail light that points into the cargo box. There's another one pointing inward to illuminate the passenger compartment.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For switches & electrical.

Although this pic is old and things have been cleaned up (so please disregard the exposed wiring):
There's 2 panels of marine grade toggle switches.
The panel closest to the rear is wired for the passenger compartment and then the other rear lights. The front panel controls the forward lights and stereo amp.

If you look at the top center of the rear rops, you can see the cab and cargo box lights.

If you look at the other pic from the rear of the RTV, you'll see a piece of schedule 40 pipe going up the rear of the cage. That's the conduit to get electric from the battery to the overhead console.

If you're going to connect a bunch of lights, stereo/amp, winch... and plan on running when the engine is turned off, you may want to consider replacing the OEM battery with a deep-cycle marine battery.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Many Thanks bczoom!! I will have a lot of fun with this. The pictures are a big help. It's just like they say being "worth a thousand words "is true.I plan to start on this as soon as I get some free time. Hopefully, this will be next month.It will be like a customized ride!! I must do this before I start spraying so I can remount my radio and speakers something like yours.Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.,Bordercollie