Difficult shifting

andrewbph

I just purchased a used (250 hrs) worksite model and outfitted it with a Curtis soft cab and overhead console. I haven't been able to use it much yet, we still have too much snow. But I have noticed that it is very difficult to shift through the gears especially when shifting from reverse to low or mid. Sometimes when backing up it doesn't want to stop and keeps inching along unless I shut it off. I've read that changing the transmission fluid and filters helps. Any other ideas???</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andrew,

First, welcome to the forum.

Do you have any info on when the last tranny fluid/filter occurred?

Based on it continuing to move in reverse, it sounds like you may have a linkage that needs adjustment.

Also, it would be beneficial to know which speed control assembly you have as it may be part of the issue. Take a look at this thread and provide feedback..
http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/post/1620.aspx
When you let off the gas pedal, does it want to stop immediately or will it go for awhile before it coasts to a stop?

Brian

andrewbph

Brian</P>

Thank for the response and welcome. I purchased it from a Kubota Dealer and they were supposed to to a complete service. I will find out if they changes the tranny fluid/filter. Just looked at by invoice and there isn't a trany filter or fluid. Could this be the problem? Also my serial #10626, so it looks like it has the original speed control assembly. When I take my foot off the pedal it does coast a little then comes to an abrupt stop. I've beed getting used to the way the pedals move. When I brought it in for the Cab I asked the dealer to check it out. They said that all the RTV's have difficulty shifting. I kind of figure that Kubota wouldn't produce something that was so difficult shifting. I got it stuck in the snow last weekend and it was a pain to get out because I had to keep shutting it off to shift from reverse to low. Thanks again, any help would be appreciated!</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If your tranny fluid/filter hasn't been changed in awhile, yes... that could be the problem. If you do replace it, make sure you use the SUDT (Super UDT) tranny fluid. Regular UDT could work, but you mentioned snow so I would get the super as it's better in extreme temps.

When you said it coasts a little, does it seem like it's trying to stop or just coasting along for a bit. I'm just wondering if someone switched the speed control assembly.

The dealer should have said "that all the RTV's HAD difficulty shifting". Past tense, as most of us no longer have issues. Just getting some hours on it helped as things loosened up. With 250 hours, yours is broken in so something else just needs a little tweaking.

Are the shifting difficulties on hills only or on flat ground as well?

If it won't come out of gear, instead of shutting it off, come to a complete stop, wait a couple seconds then engage the emergency brake. For most, this will allow easy shifting.

Brian

G

you may also need an adjustment to the neutral postion. If its a tad off it keeps preasure on the tranny making it hard to shift. </P>

andrewbph

I purchased the filters and oil today and we'll see if it helps. I finally got to drive it around in the woods for a while. It is an awesome machine!!! If I can get the shifting problem solved it would be great. The problem is mainly in reverse and it does happen on flat ground, but more on a slight inclide or decline. Didn't seem to help if I put the parking brake on or how long it sat it still wouldn't come out of gear unless it was shut off. Even waited about five minutes. Also I can't tell which speed control I have by the pictures. Is it the old one in the pictures? My dealer said he changed the tranny filter and fluid at the 50 hour service. Does anyone know where I could get a service manual? </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Let's see what the tranny fluid/filter change does for you. It is due for the change.

If you're in 4WD on an incline/decline, that'll make it harder to get out of gear as well.

At 250 hours, it's also due for other service. Take a look in your owners manual.

In the pictures of the speed control assembly, it's pictured with the "new" assembly.
Where the damper mounts towards the rear of the RTV (onto it's fixed mounting point), if the damper is under the mount, it's in position for the new assembly. If it's slung over the mounting point, it's in the "old" style position.

For clarification the "old" style is the one with the abrupt stop.

Brian

G

I changes the tranny fluid and filter. Which I don't think was ever changes!!! The bolts that hold the filter guard weren't even scratched and the filter and fluid waw very dirty. It helped alot. Now shifting from low to reverse isn't a problem. Sometimes if I'm on a hill it won't come back to neutral. Nomatter how long I wait. I'll have to shut it off to shift. It seems like the idle is too high. I've figured out that the speed control is the "new" style. I ordered a shop manual and I'll see what that says about the idle. It's 100% better now, but it would be nice of it would come back to neutral on its own all the time. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep you informed.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andrew,

Glad it was as simple as an oil change.

[quote user="Anonymous"]I've figured out that the speed control is the "new" style.[/quote]
I'll bet if you switch it to the "old" style, 99% of any remaining shifting issues you have will go away.

Try using the emergency brake if it won't come out of gear before turning it off. Give it a good hard pull. That has always worked for me and I've never had to turn it off.

Brian

andrewbph

The shifting is getting better the more I use it. I think I'll change the filters again after about 25 hours. I informed the dealer what I did and that the filter and fluid hadn't been changed. He was going to check into it. Also he is going to check with kubota and get some reimbursement for fluid and filters, but we'll see. He is a good dealer and we've done a lot of business with him. I ordered a service manual for the RTV and it has a lot of very good info about the adjustments.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andrew,

Glad to hear it's getting better.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't change the oil/filter again in 25 hours unless it takes a severe turn for the worse. For 99.9% of the RTV's I've seen, following the normal service interval is adequate.

For 1/2 (or less) of the oil/filter you could purchase the old-style speed control assembly and I think you'll find your shifting gets even better.

Brian