Hoisting License

TRO

I took the test today for my MA hoisting license. I was wondering if any of the other members from MA have obtained a hoisting license for operating their tractors. Also is a license required in any other states?

Archdean

While I'm not surprised that MA has a hoisting license (I have no clue what it is) but it sounds like a FEE certainly must be involved!! :pat:

I took the test today for my MA hoisting license. I was wondering if any of the other members from MA have obtained a hoisting license for operating their tractors. Also is a license required in any other states?

I take it you got the C license and not the one for actual cranes...because it looks like they are revisiting it again...:rolleyes:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...nt&f=dps_feature_hoisting_jan16_08&csid=Eeops

You won't need one in CT. Here is their rules...

Hoisting Equipment as defined by the public act includes ALL of the following criteria:
1. Motorized equipment

2. Used in construction, demolition or excavation work

3. At a construction site of a project that

a. Is other than residential structures of less than four stories and

b. Estimated cost of which is more than $1,250,000

4. With manufacturer’s rated lifting capacity exceeding 5 tons and

5. Manufacturer’s rated maximum reach in excess of 32 feet.
If your equipment does not meet ALL of the above, it is not regulated under this public act.

While I'm not surprised that MA has a hoisting license (I have no clue what it is) but it sounds like a FEE certainly must be involved!! :pat:

In Mass. its called a Hoisting License, to operate TLBs and mini-exs. The test is pretty easy and used to only cost $65. Small price to pay considering the fine is $1000 for the operator and $3000 for company owner for 1st offence. All operators of equipment that falls under the guidelines needs this license no matter where their working, only exception is if foreman on job has license and is supervising the operator. If unsure whether you need one, the law defines the equipment as anything that can reach 10ft. in the air OR can lift at least 500lbs. OR has a bucket capacity of 1/4 cy. or more.

Mark777

I believe the requirements in Texas are "Operator Must be able to:

See lightning -
Hear Thunder -

I’m all for public safety and operator awareness but find that (here) many county/state controls by regulations are more of a cash cow to generate income. Where I’m located, the biggest single offence with steep fines, are the people that operate back hoes and excavators without calling the city/county hot line (800 #) first. There are signs posted everywhere…”Call Before You Dig”, due to the expansive network of oil and gas piping. Very often, local news has an equipment vs. pipe line explosion that usually results in the death of the operator…and sometimes worse.

What this county or state may loose in testing and licensing fees are more than made up with required permits. You can’t bring in clean fill, scratch the soil surface, erect a simple and inexpensive carport, or build any structure larger than 10’ x 10’ (100 sq ft) and if you do the county will red tag your operation and then require a PE to perform a sight survey ($600-$1000) depending of the project. A real ‘Catch 22’ for most that do it legitimately as in a few weeks when the project is finished and the county signs off on your permits, the property (Is Walked), reevaluated and land-property improvements raise your taxes.

TRO

Paul,

The test is now $75.00 and it is pretty easy, if you have common sense and the license must be renewed every two years.
The reason I asked the question is I see so many guys now starting small businesses, like I have, with their tractors and I was just wondering if they are getting licensed.
I have been asked by some of my clients if I have my license at the same time they ask about insurance.

TRO

Bindian

I believe the requirements in Texas are "Operator Must be able to:

See lightning -
Hear Thunder -

I’m all for public safety and operator awareness but find that (here) many county/state controls by regulations are more of a cash cow to generate income. Where I’m located, the biggest single offence with steep fines, are the people that operate back hoes and excavators without calling the city/county hot line (800 #) first. There are signs posted everywhere…”Call Before You Dig”, due to the expansive network of oil and gas piping. Very often, local news has an equipment vs. pipe line explosion that usually results in the death of the operator…and sometimes worse.

What this county or state may loose in testing and licensing fees are more than made up with required permits. You can’t bring in clean fill, scratch the soil surface, erect a simple and inexpensive carport, or build any structure larger than 10’ x 10’ (100 sq ft) and if you do the county will red tag your operation and then require a PE to perform a sight survey ($600-$1000) depending of the project. A real ‘Catch 22’ for most that do it legitimately as in a few weeks when the project is finished and the county signs off on your permits, the property (Is Walked), reevaluated and land-property improvements raise your taxes.
The only time I need a permit for building on my property is if it has more than 3 sides (enclosed) and if it gets a septic system. Also, Farm Bureau Texas doesn't need you to have permits to insure your barn.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

Mark777

The only time I need a permit for building on my property is if it has more than 3 sides (enclosed) and if it gets a septic system. ..........hugs, Brandi

Such are the woe’s of living in Houston’s Harris county (and I understand, Bear Co - San Antanio).

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Such are the woe’s of living in Houston’s Harris county (and I understand, Bear Co - San Antanio).

Mark, it's Bexar County. And I think Brandi is in Montgomery Co, maybe even Walker Co.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Jim

....I guess I was spelling it phonetically...it is pronounced BEAR isn't it?

That's it. I think Bexar is a convolution of Spanish or it might be Indian.

Jim

Archdean

The reason I moved to Green Country OK from Alaska after I retired, in part was no permits (not a problem actually as I am a licensed Builder) needed on your own property, well that was 16 years ago and yes even out here in the sticks (miles from anywhere) one is needed for a septic and any upgrades to the property as in new buildings and etc!

Two years I built this [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Archdean/FinishGravelwork007Small.jpg"]HDECK[/URL] and our rag-tag county assessor with their new satellite photo computers was in my yard within 3 weeks to measure/check on my credentials and up my property taxes!!

I can honestly say my tax dollars work!!:pat:

Last edited:

Bindian

Uh.........I'm not in Harris County.:eek: I'm in Montgomery County.:cool: The County Inpsector is overworked. Most folks build fully enclosed barns with no permits. Like don't ask, don't tell.
hugs, Brandi

N

Nicahawk

Uh.........I'm not in Harris County.:eek: I'm in Montgomery County.:cool: The County Inpsector is overworked. Most folks build fully enclosed barns with no permits. Like don't ask, don't tell.
hugs, Brandi
Here in SC ks we built a new home, put in septic, powered up the wind mill, built a donkey shed, and have not had an in crease in taxes, nor had a visit from the apprasiser.That's been 3 years. Sooner or later they will show up. So far so good. Neighbors have told us they just don't get too excited around here. I hope that's good.

I love to watch Jepardy every evening.

Ridiculous fees from BIG BROTHER for $1000 Alex,

A HOISTING LICENSE for using your backhoe,

What is reason # 62,974, Why I love living in the backwards state of Kentucky.

:eek:

shinnlinger

Paul, Paul, Paul,

But in the "Peoples Rebublic of Vermont" you have about every other rule law and tax that Massachussets has....

Over here I say live free AND die. I have buillt a few things that supposedly required permits, but the permits only serve to notify the tax man and you can do that at the end of the year property report.

At no point has anyone ever showed up, which actually kinda pisses me off. What did I pay the $ for on the permit then? Well it was only $25 for a 24x30 barn and get this, $10 for a 24x50 house so I guess "You get what you pay for" holds true here also.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
I wish I could live in Walker County. But that is too far to drive to work at Houston Hobby.
hugs, Brandi

I somehow had your place pictured in my mind north of Willis. Not too much farther up I45 to get to Walker. :oops:

We're zoned agricultural. When we bought the place I filed a farm use plan with the County. When we build the barn no construction permits were needed. I had to file a copy of the farm use plan along with a site plan showing the structure location was within the ag zoning setbacks (100' from the neighbors house). I did have to have a permit from the health department. They wanted to make sure I wasn't building it on top of the septic system.