RTV 900 vs Polaris Ranger 4x4 purchase advice please

WestCoast

Looking ata new900 or Ranger 4x4 for a purchase. I have never owned an ATV. I'll be using it in upstate Washington.Heavily treed.Elevation 3600'. 60 acres but elevation rises almost 400' over 1400' front to back and is rough terrain. The driveway is gravel, runs 1800' and is very steep. Most years we have snow 5-6 months in the year. I've looked at tractors but I'm sure they will tip. Will be using it mostly for dragging logs, driveway and trail maintence,hauling firewood, and fun. I've found that clearing snow works best with a honda snowblower with treads.</P>

Any help from those who have owned both? Any problems with starting the 900 in cold weather? What would be the best tires? </P>

Thanks in advance... WestCoast</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Westcoast,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't own both but I have a RTV and my Dad has a Ranger so I do drive both.

Hmmmm. Quite the potpouri of things you have going on there. I guess it would be best if you got one of each.[:D]

Actually, I would recommend you get a demo of each brought to your location and you try them both.

Let's break down your conditions.
Elevation of 3600'.
- Won't be a problem for either.

Cold weather
- Actually, the RTV may actually be better than the Ranger. Using the key, apply the glow plug warmer for 10-30 seconds (depending on how cold it is) and it'll fire right up and be ready to ride. The tranny will be a bit cold so you'll notice it's a bit sluggish but it'll work fine.
- The naturally aspirated engines in Rangers, Rhinos, Mules... all require playing with a choke and getting them warmed up before they'll want to run. I've heard many are coming out with fuel injection in the next couple years which would take care of this.

Steep hills
- Going up - They'll both go up and the Ranger will do it faster.
- Going down - A real determining factor when I chose the RTV (over the Ranger). The RTV's speed can be fully controlled using just the gas pedal. Heck, you can go down a very steep hill and when you let off the gas pedal, you're going to stop. Period. On the Ranger, it's going to pretty much free-wheel down the hill and braking will be required. It's not bad when empty but can get a bit hairy when hauling a load of firewood in the box (or much worse if you have a trailer in tow).

Dragging logs
- Both will do it.
- If you're using a winch on the machine to drag logs to the trail, the RTV may have a slight edge over the Ranger due to its weight. Basically, it won't tow the machine to the log instead...

Driveway and trail maintenance.
- Except the going down hill issue, I would say they're about the same.

Hauling firewood
- This is the 2nd factor that put the RTV over the Ranger when I purchased (the 1st being going down hills). The RTV can haul more. I've put 1500# in the box and it drove like it wasn't there. The hyd. dump box is also invaluable when processing firewood.

Fun
- Here's where most agree the Ranger beats the RTV. It has more speed and is more agile. Honestly, I normally find the 25-28mph top end on the RTV to be adequate. All the other machines all blow right past me. But, I have my 2 little kids quite a bit so they're more than happy with that speed. That brings up another thing. If you expect 3 passengers, the bench seat of the RTV may be handy.

Other things (not mentioned).
- Look around on other sites. My Dad's has been fine but I've heard of quality and reliability issues on the Ranger. I don't have details but look around.
- You may find the power steering valuable in your conditions.
- The RTV does weigh a lot more than the Ranger. If you have a lot of wet conditions, the RTV will sink more which isn't good...

That's all I can think of for now.
Brian

WestCoast

Thank for taking the time to give this info.... I have been leaning toward the RTV. I think most of the use will be on the utility side so I am glad to hear it is a good work horse. I will try to get a demo on the property when the snow finally goes away.</P>

The Polaris dealer was pushing the gas engine for easier starting but it sounds like the there is no problem for the RTV. </P>

Thanks again.... WestCoast</P>

RTV

I have an RTV and used it for work and play. Before we purchased our unit we test drove both the Ranger and RTV. The Ranger goes faster but over heated during some extended uses pulling loads.</P>

We pull a tandem disc harrow, weighing about 670 lbs, for 2-4 hours at a timewithout a glitch. We also have a 6' wide Gearmore box scraper that runs off the hydraulic bed controls.</P>

After installing a set of bar-tread tractor tires off one of the smaller Kubota tractors, we can crawl up some very steep hills. I totally agree with the statement about downhill control (or the lack thereof) in the Ranger. During our test drive we took the Ranger up our fire breaks without any problems...coming down was not enjoyable and felt very out of control.</P>

The RTV runs up and down the fire breaks ands feels much safer. In the mud, the Ranger will pull through a little farther...the Ranger 6x6 is almost unstopable in the mud.</P>

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/mjb1957/100_1103Small.jpg</P>

doggman

I looked at both, also, but bought a RTV. </P>

The Ranger 700ccis way faster without a doubt. It also has great storage features that the RTV does not. But the Ranger bed is up high which is a little inconvenient. </P>

However, I do a lot of slow to medium speed driving and the RTV is much better in that range. The Polaris dealer just flat out said that the Ranger is not a slow speed machine - it's pretty shaky in that range.</P>

Also, I got nearly 20 hours on less than a full tank (6 gallons) with the RTV. You won't get anything like that with the Polaris. </P>

The high-medium-low range shifting is sometimes an issue as is getting the machine in and out of 4WD.I think Kubota fixed the shifting issue in the 2006 models. They have a procedure for helping with the 4WD shifting. That's really the biggest complaint I have. </P>

Other than that it's been trouble free and hasn't failed any hauling task yet. I can't comment about using it for pulling implements because I've got tractors and crawlers for those tasks. </P>

</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have had a Kawasaki Mule so that's all I can compare to. The RTV is a real workhorse and cranks sooo easy!! [stays cranked too!]It's super all the way. I got my mudgrip tires by searching the net "rtv 900 tires" I amvery pleased with their performance. I also learned how to use the transmission by listening to the forum members.I can drive through a lot of mud in2WD . I pulled a lot of Katrinatrees to a safer cutting position with the trans in low.I think you will be happy with the RTV. I have 806 hours on mine and I had withdrawal when Hoss went in for warranty work. Good Luck!! Bordercollie[&]

WestCoast

Thanks for the reply....I have pretty much decided on the RTV-900.... a comment from RTV was that he used a bar tread tire off a Kabota tracker.... looks like it would do the job.... what are you using?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
HI West Coast!! I useITP Mud Lites 26X10x12. They may ride a little rougher but they really do perform!! if you are going to carry a lot of weight be sure to buy accordingly. Mine are light rated, but I have really put it to them and they haven't let me down. I paid $480 for a new complete set with polished rims.[ eBay]I keep my WS for the load carrying ability and summer use along with the gentle ride The WS will definitely get you stuck in wet conditions though. My Mudlites will really crawl out of the ruts .I had actually dreaded going into the pasture during the wet weather until I got the mudlites.Now.. I'm a crazy go anywhere[almost] RTVer. In case you haven't found out, I use the RTV for hours a day on the farm.. I tend to cows,fences etc..So easy to get on and off.. The trucks just have grass growing under them. The RTV gets great milage too!!Good luck, Bordercollie[&]

malojeer

My wife who is handicapped from a horrible car wreck 2 yrs ago. is able to operate the RTV around the yard and back and forth to our neighbors since it has power steering and the speed control when you let off the throttle. This is the only utility vehicle she is able to operate.Since her left arm is paralized i installed a spinner knob on the steering wheel and she can manuver like a pro. The RTV is worth its weight in gold.Would not buy anything else.

G

Not too familiar with the RTV 900, but I have had a Ranger and a Mule for awhile. One thing to consider with the Ranger is that it is very loud in the cab, and if you are going to inclose it for your kind of weather, it will be close to painfully loud.</P>

</P>

Joe</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good point Joe. I had forgotten to mention that.

Even without a cab, it's difficult to hear each other at higher speeds/RPM's in the Ranger.

The RTV's diesel makes a pretty decent amount of noise but it seems like the pitch, not the volume changes at higher RPM's. I can talk to my kids at a "relatively" normal voice volume in the RTV at any speed.