RTV Tires

andrewbph

I currently have the WS tires. They do great on hard surfaces. I have a lot of mud and live in snow country. What type of tire are best? I do ride on dirt roads quite often. The ITP 589's look like they have the traction, but how's the ride on hard surfaces?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="andrewbph"]What type of tire are best?[/quote]
That question is similar to "who has the best truck (Ford, GM, Dodge). You'll get a lot of opinions but I don't believe there's a clear-cut answer.

The 589's are pretty aggessive. Personally, a little too aggressive. It'll be like driving with R-1 tires on a tractor. You'll get great traction but at the cost of a little vibration on hard surfaces. The biggest issue is damage/ruts to the driving surface when it's soft. I had some on an ATV but wouldn't take it through a wet/soft lawn.

I've heard very good things about the 589's little brother, the "mud-lites".

The Essex surefoot is a nice tire. They don't come in 25x10x12 so you'll have to get the 26x10x12.

The Maxxis Bighorn is what I have. I (as well as everyone else that has them) loves them. Although they do come in 25x10x12, they actually stand closer to 26.5" tall.

So, I'll need someone else (Andrew?) to comment on the Essex, but with the Bighorns, if you're in extreme conditions (very heavy loads on steep hills), you may get some rubbing in the front and have to get the lift kit.

Brian

ajdillon

>So, I'll need someone else (Andrew?) to comment on the Essex, but with the Bighorns, if you're in extreme conditions (very heavy loads on steep hills), you may get some rubbing in the front and have to get the lift kit.<</P>

I have had a set of Essex Surefoot tires on my RTV for a year now. I've never been in deep mud with them, although I have had them through some sand. They ride pretty smooth on paved surfaces, but I mostly bought them for puncture resistance. They are 6 ply, Kevlar belted and run flat (extra thick side walls). They have run over and through every type of cactus, stump, staub and rock I can find and don't slow down a bit. One down side, I had to put the 2 inch lift kit on my rig to accomodate the bigger size, but I've been very happy with their performance.</P>

Andrew</P>

</P>

</P>