RTV Hunting Rig

ajdillon

I promised Brian and a few others that I would post some pictures of my RTV when I got through (at least for now) upgrading. The first photo is the high rack/shooting rail I had put on by Extreme Hunting Trucks up in Dallas.</P>

The floor plate is hinged and rotates up so I can still get to the tool box I got from FL_Cracker.</P>

Andrew</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andrew,

That rear bench turned out very nice!!!! How much would you say it weighs? How hard is it to put on or take off?

I have the same spreader but honestly haven't used it yet. What do you spread in yours? I hung mine off the rear bumper thinking that it would be easier to re-fill as I would keep bags of whatever in the cargo box. I could also have someone ride in the box to keep pouring bags in so I don't have to stop.

Brian

G

Yep, I'm very happy with the bench...did you notice the cup holders? It is constructed of light gauge steel and I'd say it weighs about 175 pounds. After unbolting the ladder we remove four bolts which extend through the side walls of the bed and the angle iron which forms the base. Two of us can then lift it off pretty easily. Itwill rest flat on the ground. The hydraulic lift still works fine, but it won't float down, I guess too much weight back in the rear. It comes down nicely under power though. I use the spreader to hit the road/sendero with corn on my way in to my blind. It seems some whitetails will feed off the road that won't go to the feeder. How did you like my design for a shooting rail? </P>

Andrew</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Anonymous"]

Yep, I'm very happy with the bench...did you notice the cup holders? It is constructed of light gauge steel and I'd say it weighs about 175 pounds. After unbolting the ladder we remove four bolts which extend through the side walls of the bed and the angle iron which forms the base. Two of us can then lift it off pretty easily. Itwill rest flat on the ground. The hydraulic lift still works fine, but it won't float down, I guess too much weight back in the rear. It comes down nicely under power though. I use the spreader to hit the road/sendero with corn on my way in to my blind. It seems some whitetails will feed off the road that won't go to the feeder. How did you like my design for a shooting rail? </p>

Andrew</p>[/quote]
I did see the cup holders. Nice touch.

I do like the shooting rail. I can't see the detail but I'm assuming it's something padded.

BTW, what do you think you're at height with everything installed. Has it become an issue on where you can go (including the garage)?

Also, how is the ride with the center-of-gravity being raised?
When driving (or just sitting up there), does it feel tippy?

Brian

ajdillon

Brian, one of the other pictures is a close up of the shooting rail. I wanted something I could adjust for height and for angle, that when let down would be a grab bar like on a roller coaster. I designed it so I could unbolteach of the twoU-bolts that hold the roof to the ROPS back there and then bolt it back together witha mounting bracket in place on each side. My fabricator kept referring to those brackets as "taco shells". </P>

I like the height I'm at. I was worried about someone shooting my fancy remote controlled spotlight off the front of the roof. So far the height hasn't been a problem. I have 9 foot doors on my garage and it clears easily, even with the 2 inch lift kit and the shooting rail in the depicted "up" position. I weigh 260 pounds and if I get up in the seat and rock back and forth violently I can make the RTV rock a little, but I still don't intend to ride up there if I'm traversing really rough territory. It doesn't feel at all tippy when I'm driving it, but my hunting buddy hasn't been over so we could test drive it with someone up top. Trees are scarce out here in the brush country, so I don't have a big problem going under branches. </P>

Andrew</P>

G

Does somebody rideon the shooting bench while you're underway or do you park and shoot? Do you shoot while you're moving? Big game or birds?

ajdillon

Down here in Texas we drive around with someone up top, safari style, but I am going to need to build some confidence in this rig before we go out over any rough terrain. Frequently we drive around at night and spotlight and shoot predators, although I have backed into the brush during the day and hunted deer from a similiar rig where there was no blind at that location. We generally try and stop before we shoot, but not always. I've got a set of throat mikes and VOX walkie talkies so the driver and hunter can talk to one another. The throat mikes work pretty well over the diesel noise. Another approach we use with my friend's jeep/high rack is to drive out and reach out and drop off our electronic caller/decoy, then circle back and set up. That way we can use the remote control to call predators in without having dragged a scent line across the shooting field. That works well for fox, coyote et cetera.</P>

Andrew</P>

DougK

Thats a great setup....</P>

Who made the seat, I am looking for one that is similiar but easily removed so I can use the bed for hauling.</P>

</P>

Thanks</P>

Doug</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doug,

It doesn't appear Andrew's online to answer your question.
He had that custom made. I don't know if it can be replicated but I believe he had it fabricated at a place in Dallas.
Actually, I see you live in Driftwood and Andrew lives in (or around) Austin. Aren't you guys neighbors?

EDIT: I haven't checked lately but Essex may make something similar.
http://essexmfg.com/Kubota/index.stm

ajdillon

Doug: I noted in the first posting, the high rack was manufactured for me by Extreme Hunting Trucks up in Dallas. http://www.extremehuntingtrucks.com/</P>

It bolts in place with 4 bolts through the top of the bed. It goes on and off pretty easily, despite the accomodations I made him put in so that I would still be able to use my tool box (The foot panel swivels up against the back of the cab so I can get to my tools, jumper cables etc) It wasn't all that expensive as I recall, around $1200. Since we are practically neighbors holler back and we can see if we can arrange for you to come by and get a good look at my rig. I keep it at home inmy garage in NW Austin.</P>

Andrew</P>

DougK

Andrew</P>

thanks for the link. I missed the reference to Extreme Hunting Trucks. [:$]</P>

Your setup is fantastic.</P>

I lived in NW Austin near 183 and 360, before moving to Driftwood. I have not be back to North Austin since moving 4 years ago. If I am up in that area I will give you a holler. Thanks for the kind offer to see your setup.</P>

It appears Essex has the accessories we are looking to add to the RTV. </P>

ajdillon

Doug: My office is right at Great Hills and Loop 360, I guess we used to be neighbors. Here's the latest addition to my hunting rig. It's an All Seasons feeder that I covered with Real Tree. I had two c-beams welded to the mounting brackets so the would hang just outside the raised center portion of the brush guard. I bought 8 inches of clear poly pipe with a 1 1/4 ID and cut two pieces in a spiral and then wrapped them around the upper rail to keep the paint from getting scratched. I also bought a 20 inch long piece of the thick rubber bumper stuff you see on the walls in tight parking garages. I bolted that to the Kubota RTV plate in the middle of the brush guard and the feeder rests against that, making for a nice solid, non-rattling ride.</P>

Andrew</P>

</P>

ajdillon

Doug: My office is right at Great Hills and Loop 360, I guess we used to be neighbors. Here's the latest addition to my hunting rig. It's an All Seasons feeder that I covered with Real Tree. I had two c-beams welded to the mounting brackets so the would hang just outside the raised center portion of the brush guard. I bought 8 inches of clear poly pipe with a 1 1/4 ID and cut two pieces in a spiral and then wrapped them around the upper rail to keep the paint from getting scratched. I also bought a 20 inch long piece of the thick rubber bumper stuff you see on the walls in tight parking garages. I bolted that to the Kubota RTV plate in the middle of the brush guard and the feeder rests against that, making for a nice solid, non-rattling ride.</P>

Andrew</P>

</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
You use this for deer ~~~ Does it have a 12v electric motor to throw out the feed ? What feed are we throwing out ~~~~</P>

What do you do, just run threw your area a spead out feed ~~~ how often do you feed them ?</P>

Reason I ask, this is a great idea for hunting. We use the auto feeders that are really<FONT face=Arial size=2> permanently set in it's spot, and cannot move them for they have in the area of 350 to 500 lbs of feed at any given time .... Only way to move them, is to wait for them to get down to about 50lbs or so called "drain" 'em out ...</FONT></P>

ajdillon

I throw corn for deer and hogs. The feeder will hold a full sack. It has a 12 volt spinner motor and a spring loaded plate that closes except when the motor spins, then it opens downward and throws corn. We use big feeders here in Texas too, but I like to spread corn in the roads/senderos around my blind, rather than just depend on the corn that comes out of the feeder. I sometimes hunt where there is no blind/feeder. I spread corn in the road on the way in mornings and evenings and then back into the brush and climb up into the high rack so I have a line of sight over the brush.</P>

Andrew</P>

</P>

DougK

[quote user="ajdillon"]

Doug: My office is right at Great Hills and Loop 360, I guess we used to be neighbors. ...Andrew</P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

Andrew,</P>

I lived down Jollville RD on Taylor Draper Lane but that was over 5 years ago.</P>

My office was at 360 and Lost Creek, so we where neighbors....</P>

</P>

Your feeder is a great addition to the RTV.</P>