power loss at altitude

Londoner

Just about ordered the RTV but am now wondering will it lose a lot of power at 7,000 feet and if so how can I fix it?</P>

Why are there so many things to worry about when all you want is a good time?</P>

</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have heard there's a power loss at the higher altitudes but I don't believe it was much.

There are turbo kits available which "should" negate the altitude issue.

G

thanks for the input - FYI my dealer checked with Kubota and they
confirmed loss of up to 25% and suggested keeping air filters clean
etc. I ordered the machine anyway - by now I can't live without it!

A dealer in Roswell said he saw no reason why a turbo couldn''t be
fitted if needed - do you have any info on the turbo you mentioned?

Will get it to my mountain in 2 or 3 weeks and will report on power after we get to play, I mean use it a bit.

Thanks again

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your new toy (err.. I mean tool).

There's a mfgr that posted a thread about his turbo here awhile back. Dig through the index looking for turbo and you should find it. I honestly don't know anything about it. I would start by keeping the air flow as smooth as possible. I would also consider a custom exhaust before a turbo due to cost.

Londoner

thanks - I got a reponse from Kubota direct which confirmed up to 25%
loss at 7,000 feet. I found a turbo kit at SW Ag in Colorado but its
$3,000 so I guess I'll keep researching and try not to max it out.

I'll post a report on my test flight/maiden voyage in a few weeks - it looks pretty good at the dealers anyway!

kinghill245

I realize that your post was some time ago, but there wasn't any additional info on the high alttitude run.</P>

We took our new RTV up in the Sierra's this weekend and my husband ran it on the quad trails on up to over 8000 foot elevation with a friend and other than belching black exhuast when he tried to make it go faster up some steep inclines, it ran fine. Once he learned to keep his foot out of it and just except the speed he was going it was fine.(not too shabby a speedas far as I'm concerned, I was following on a quad) Considering that he is over 200# and the friend is closer to 300#...way over the 209# the manual says is the max for the passenger, I was impressed it made it at all!</P>

K</P>

G

You can also add about a .002-.004 thou shim under the injection pump. But thats if you are going to be using it in high altitude on a regular basis..

There are turbo kits available, but not to sure to which regions though

Jason

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
kinghill245 said:
Considering that he is over 200# and the friend is closer to 300#...way over the 209# the manual says is the max for the passenger, I was impressed it made it at all!

209# ??? I've never seen that number before. Can you tell us where you got/found that number?
CBC = (Cargo Bed Capacity) = 1100#
CL = (Cargo Load) everything in cargo box + passengers = 1700#

Even if you have a full load in your cargo box, you can still put 600# of passengers. I know of no passenger weight limit if your cargo box is empty.

Brian

kinghill245

No, I was reading in the owners manual somewhere that the driver weight was 209# and passenger weight 209#, yeah, odd numbers but it stuck in my head. The manual is in our5th wheelat the lake, I'll check it again this weekend when we get up there. I thought those numbers were a bit slight too, but do know I read it in the white owners guide somewhere, the one with all the safety info. It was specific to the seat area, not the cargo area, maybe it's because the seatbelts are only so long, the big guy had trouble getting his on!</P>

K</P>

Londoner

Thanks - never thought past a turbo. I will talk with dealer next time I go to "big city". The distributor I spoke with of the turbo is in Colorado.

kinghill245

We took ours up to over 8000 foot and it ran fine, you just aren't going to punch it or put your foot in it on the hills and get anything but black belching for your effort. Two LARGE men and all the ice chests for a group of quad riders. No speed going up hills, but on the average we did 15-20 mphon fairly rough up and down type quad trails.</P>

K</P>