4 wheel Drive

malojeer

Today going up a hillside in2 wd lowI became stuck in a soft spot of loose soil..I pushed diff. lock both back wheels would spin.I put in 4 wheel drive both back wheels would spin but the front wheels didn't seem to do anything.It did not break loose or seem to help.I was able to backdown the hill but didn't get the help I thoughtI would when I put it in 4 wheel dr.After I was on level ground it feels like the 4 wheel drive is engaging. Any one have any suggestions or advice on this one?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="malojeer"]Any one have any suggestions or advice on this one?[/quote]
Sure... Put it in 4WD before climbing that hill again. [:p] Just kidding.

When you put it in 4WD, did you have it in neutral or was it still in L? You'll want to get it into neutral. I've found you can get the 4WD engaged when in gear/moving (although not recommended) but there cannot be any pressure on the tranny. In that particular case, I would have put it in N, put it in 4WD then tried forward. If not engaging, put it in R and slowly try to back up while putting the selector into 4WD.

doggman

There is no limited slip in the front differential ( or the back differential until you lock it with the pedal) which means that the wheel with the LEAST traction will spin. I have been in 4WD situations where the front passenger wheel was slightly off the ground and spinning (my passenger could see her wheel) but the front driver's wheel was not doing anything.</P>

Too bad they don't make both ends with limited slip - even as an option. </P>

ZEP2

Does anyone make an E-locker for the front end of the RTV? I had a Jeep Rubicon I used to 4-wheel with, the lockers on both ends were awesome.</P>

</P>

Thanks....</P>