RTV rattles in the front

Tact

Anyone experience front rattles like we all did in the rear drive shaft? Was there a problem with the front drive shaft bearing or yokethat I overlooked? I'm noticing a definite rattle in the front now.

G

Tact, I was out on mine this evening and did notice some rattle in front, but it seemed to be originating up high and was probably associated with the gearshift linkage. It wasn't that loud, mind you, but it definitely was a rattle. It is not nearly enough to be objectionable. So if you can describe a little better whether it was a heavy metallic rattle or something much less like I've described, maybe we can compare notes.
One thing to consider here is that I recently tweaked my idle speed down (mine's an '05 where it came from the factory with a fairly high idle speed). As a result, the new lower speed probably matches the resonant frequency of some of the mechanicals. Again, it's not nearly loud enough to be objectionable to me.

kinghill245

Our RTV900 is brand new (bought last week!) and it has a horrible rattle that will stop if you push firmly at the top/center of the dash. I haven't had a chance to get in there and see if I can find it yet, will check back if I get to it today..</P>

K</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
K,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your RTV.

Sounds like a loose dash panel. You may be able to isolate it quickly by looking/reaching in from under the front hood.

jdh1

I also have a rattle in the front end, mines only at medium speeds on a hard, gravel road. Its not too bad, I was wondering if it could be the front hood since mine has about a 1/4 inch of play in the latch when you lift up on the hood with it closed. I was thinking of shimming the latch to tighten it up when closed. You might want to check the latch, im not sure if this will help.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="jdh1"]I was wondering if it could be the front hood since mine has about a 1/4 inch of play in the latch when you lift up on the hood with it closed. I was thinking of shimming the latch to tighten it up when closed.[/quote]
You might not need a shim. It should have adjustments to accommodate. Although I haven't played with the latch, I did make adjustments at the hinge point.