SHOW us your diesel storage/filling set up.

Archdean

From my personal experience sitting inside an aircraft during a "HOT REFUEL" operation even with the turbines shut down and the fuel truck (JP4 and it's cousins) about the same as diesel, grounded to the aircraft and ultimately grounded to a live earth ground point. Under certain atmospheric conditions it can begin to smoke and DID!!(the first precursor to full fledged ignition) all because the tank was in effect a poly/rubber bladder! similar to what your storing your fuel in!

I personally use an aluminum 100 gallon boat tank mounted in my pickup to transport both gasoline and diesel to and from where I need it and make damn sure it is legitimately well grounded!

I would feel very uneasy being around your poly drum and your not doing yourself any favors locating it next to your battery charger!

Dean

N

Nicahawk

Show us your tractor fuel storage and transfer set up.
Heres Mine.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/lb59/100_2303.jpg
It looks like you've done a nice job of piping on your tank, and I'm not trying to knock it, but I've got to agree with Dean. I have an outside 300 gal tank mounted on a steel support. I have the tank and support grounded directly to the ground with a copper grounding rod.
I do at times keep small amounts of diesel in the shed, but only in steel 5 gal containers, and I shouldn't even do that.
Maybe you could get a 55 gallon barrel instead of the poly container, and keep it outside with a ground rod. Do you transport diesel to the poly tank, or do you have it filled by a fuel service? I'm sure the fuel provider could give you some help on making it safer.
Not trying to criticize, just help.

lb59

Couple of Blitz gas cans spray painted yellow so I don't mix-em up. Nothing much to show. :(
One of the greatest things about the rig I set up is it eliminates the 2 worst things about using cans.
Lifting them and pouring from them.
Just use the extra hose I plumbed into the outfit to empty the cans right where they set then take the empty cans out of the truck.
The beauty of the extra hose is it makes the set up work with whatever you use to keep your fuel in.

Attachments

• FuelCans2-1.jpg
    FuelCans2-1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 36

lb59

*I have the tank and support grounded directly to the ground with a copper grounding rod.
== == Do you transport diesel to the poly tank, or do you have it filled by a fuel service?
~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
I can do it either way.
Later I want to move the set up into a portable storage building placed at least 30 to 50 feet away from any other building.
That way it would be the only thing to go in case of fire.
For Now I have to make do with it in the garage.

I've seen a lot of guys post about their Pump and Drum set ups on lots of boards/forums but this is the first time i ever heard about grounding them with a ground rod.
Then too I don't think grounding portable set ups would work out very well.

Archdean

Fine with me and I do think that you have eliminated one of the messy chores but you also have created one of the worst of situations for what is generally known as static discharge!!

It's obvious that the Hose's you are using are not static wire integrated and as such you have no grounding conduit! Important basic technology for those that handle fuel, Recommend that all look into it!

Farm Fuel Safety

lb59

There is no current going to the receptacle the charger is plugged into unless the pump is in use.
The place i bought the hose at said it was for diesel and gasoline.

Archdean

This will be my last word for this thread! ":cool: You say" and I agree with you!

I am not attempting to convince you of anything but I do think others may benefit should they choose to read the information!

1. Electrical current AC or DC is not the problem that will cause the poly drum to retain sufficient STATIC electricity to possibly ignite the fuel!

2. The hose you were told that was OK for Gas and Diesel simply means it is compatible with petroleum products and will not deteriorate! Which has nothing what-so-ever to do with Grounding Static electricity!!

28 gallons on the hoof...

gal-portable-diesel-G59324.jpg

lb59

I was going to set my drum on a hand truck but this presented a problem with getting the full drum out of my pick up.
To heavy to run down a ramp from the tail gate and no way to get a set of forks under the drum to lift it off the truck with my tractor.
Instead of the hand truck I went with putting a tee on the inlet line of the pump and adding another hose to the tee this way there is no unloading a full drum off the truck. I just let the pimp do it.
This is one of the most clever features of my set up but I have to give the credit for the idea to a poster over on TBN.:cool:

I was going to set my drum on a hand truck but this presented a problem with getting the full drum out of my pick up.
To heavy to run down a ramp from the tail gate and no way to get a set of forks under the drum to lift it off the truck with my tractor.
Instead of the hand truck I went with putting a tee on the inlet line of the pump and adding another hose to the tee this way there is no unloading a full drum off the truck. I just let the pimp do it.
This is one of the most clever features of my set up but I have to give the credit for the idea to a poster over on TBN.:cool:

Mine is from http://www.gemplers.com/product/G59324/28-gal-Portable-Diesel-Caddy-w-Pump

Archdean

I said I wouldn't post on this topic again but this bothers me and I'm going to try one more time!!

"UN3H1W". Means in essence: U.L. approved hose with static wire Molded hose brackets~~~~~~~~~~~~

lb59, I have known you remotely off and on for years and I really do not want any of you to become a statistic!!

Should you still be a doubting Thomas ask any heavy lift helicopter crew chief about STATIC Electricity and why he grounds the hook!!

I said I wouldn't post on this topic again but this bothers me and I'm going to try one more time!!

"UN3H1W". Means in essence: U.L. approved hose with static wire Molded hose brackets~~~~~~~~~~~~

lb59, I have known you remotely off and on for years and I really do not want any of you to become a statistic!!

Should you still be a doubting Thomas ask any heavy lift helicopter crew chief about STATIC Electricity and why he grounds the hook!!

I agree...:)

You'll notice on my unit where the ground wire attaches near the bottom of the photo...

lb59

Ok so how do I fix it ??????

Titleman

Paul Christenson has the /a great solution to this problem. This is the same thing I use. Wife got it for me as a gift. Works great. I attach the grounding cable first thing, before I do anything else. Later--Tom

Last edited:

lb59

Paul Christenson has the /a great solution to this problem. This is the same thing I use. Wife got it for me as a gift. Works great. I attach the grounding cable first thing, before I do anything else. Later--Tom

attach it to what??????????????

lb59

Lots of guys have set up 30 and 55 gallon drums for this.
I don't know that any of them had to buy one of these caddys to fix a problem with their set up.
I'm asking how do I go about grounding what I have.
I'm not interested in spending twice as much as I already have for something I have to take somewhere to get filled and have to use a hand crank to pump fuel instead of an electric pump.

I've heard much about a problem now I'd like to see reasonable solutions as I'd like to get this matter resolved and move on to something else.

== L B ==