Radio for RTV

Chandler

I need some advice on buying and installingan am/fm/cd stereo radio to my RTV from some of you who have done this. It has the Kubota camo plastic roof and windshield on it. Should I mount a radio underneath the roof or under the dash. And do you think that I should get a marine radio and speakers or could I buy a standard stereo and just get the enclosed marine speakers? Links and info would be appreciated. Thanks!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry for the late reply but I was having computer problems (I could read threads but not reply).

If I did this right, a 2 pics should be attached. They're old pics so pardon the mess but I was in "draft" mode to see if/how things would work before doing the clean-up.

I made a ceiling panel out of the same type of plastic the roof is. (PVC?). I molded to the ROPS then secured with U-clamps.

The stereo/CD player is encased in a stereo box that can be bought from most auto supply stores.

Wedged between the ceiling and roof panels is the wiring as well as the amplifier.

2 speakers in the front, 2 mounted to the rear of the ROPS.

Up the rear of the ROPS is a conduit that supplies the electric. Conduit painted ROPS grey

Antenna mounted to rear of roof panel.

All components are marine grade. I haven't had any issues with water.

G

That looks good. You put in a lot of work and I bet it sounds great.I'm wondering where you might have gotten the plastic for the roof. Also what about the switch panel and the speakers. I appreciate your reply. </P>

I've got another question for you. I went to the Kubota dealer 20 miles away to get an oil filter and they were closed today for the New Years weekend. I tried to purchase one at autozone, walmart, and tractor supply, but they couldn't find one in their books to fit the rtv. Do I have to buy filters from kubota? What kind of oil and filter do you use? I am 5 hours overdue on the break in oil change and I guess I'll have to wait till next Tuesday to go back to the Kubota dealer.</P>

Thanks</P>

</P>

Chandler

Okay, Thanks for the info on the filters & Lube. What about oil, I usually use synthetic in my vehicles. Does Kubota have or recommend a specific oil? My RTV just passed 50 hrs. Do I need to change the trans oil also? </P>

I just ordered all the manuals for the RTVon your website. Mine is an 06 model, I noticed that it didn't ask about which year it was so I sent an email telling them thats it's a 2006. </P>

</P>

G

I just had the 50 hr. service done on my 2006 RTV dealer charged $263.00 bucks[:'(]Alot of cash IMHO.coobie

G

[quote user="Chandler"]Thats a lot, what all did they do?[/quote]They changed the oil & filter, and filters for the hydro.I guess there might be more involved with the 50hr service I am not aware.I thought the price was very steep.I was also told to keep my warranty intact to use Kubota oil for the first year.coobie

Chandler

I'm glad you brought that to my attention. My Kubota is still in warranty too and I will be sure to use Kubota oil and filters. So the engine oil & filter, and also the trans/hydro oil & filter needs to be changed at 50 hrs? Is there anything else that is required for the 50 hr. break in?</P>

Messick may be able to help us out on this.</P>

Chandler

Back to the radios, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could see a picture of Kubotas stereo console that goes overhead under the roof. I read in a post where someone said it was nice but the speaker quality wasn't that great.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I purchased the plastic from www.usplastic.com

Check out their site, pricing... but post back in here with results before purchasing.

I bought most of the stereo components from www.audioallies.com. He's a good guy and will help you configure things.

The switches pictured are marine switches. Actually, only one is for the stereo and that powers on the amp. The rest are for lights and such.

Re. the oil/filters and such, as noted, I would stick with OEM during the warrantee period. The tranny fluid and filter change is also to be done at 50 hours. For the tranny, I would definitely stick with Kubota's UDT or Super UDT. I've heard all kinds of horror stories when people used cheap stuff. If you have extreme weather conditions (cold and hot), I would go with the Super UDT, otherwise the UDT should be fine. BTW, it's cheaper getting the 5 gallon bucket (which is enough for 2 changes).

Regarding other things to do for the 50 hour, it's in the manual(s). If/as I recall correctly, other than changing the engine & tranny oil/filters, it's mostly just checking things.

Coastline

RTV-RADIO2.jpg

G

[quote user="Coastline"]
RTV-RADIO2.jpg
[/quote]Very nice setup!! Where did you get that from.coobie

Chandler

That looks real good. Is that the Kubota console? I think I see air vents, does it have a fan? And what is included and can you tell me what the price of that unit is?</P>

Thanks!</P>

Coastline

Yes it does have a fan, radio with CD player, toggle switches and an interior light. It came from kubota dealership. Not sure on the price as it was included in the final price.

G

For the 50 hour, as I recall its BOTH the engine and tranny oil and filters, and then just a handful of checks on some other stuff. $250 is going to be about average for this, you have about $100 in materials (2 filters, 1 gal engine oil, 2.5 gal SUDT) plus about two hours of shop labor to change everything out and go over the machine. </P>

I second sticking to SUDT, if you want to savea few bucks maybe look at an aftermarket filter, but I'd really recomend sticking with Kubota's tranny fluid. The RTV drives very different even with new oil vs old oil, If youuse somthing thats even alittle off of spec I am sure your going to be able to tell the difference.</P>

As for Warrenty, this is bull. They can't enforce warrenty coverage based on a particular fluid unless they provide it to you at no charge, otherwise you can use whatever you want that meets the specification (there are SUDT equilivant products, but I'm not sure they are any cheaper). </P>

</P>

G

That was me, maybe I should turn off the Annonymous posting. </P>

</P>

Chandler

Thanks Coastline for the info. Does your RTV have a plastic or metal roof? I was wondering if the console will fit either one, mine is plastic.