Side View Mirrors

Chandler

Anyone know what the best side view mirrors are for the RTV? I would like to get some good quality made mirrors if I can. The picture I saw of theKubota mirrors and the clamp on them looks like the muffler type. I would be afraid it would damage the paint and start rusting. I've looked at some more on different sites, some as low as 19.95, but I don't know about the quality of them.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I made my own mirror mounts but it's part of a much larger setup that you may not want to get into.

For the mirrors, I run the dome type on the outsides and the nascar type in the middle as the rear-view mirror.

Do a search on e-bay for "O-Clamp". They're for mounting speakers and lights for a DJ system. They work perfect on the ROPS. They're made of some sort of plastic and are quick-disconnect. You could probably use these for mounting instead of muffler clamps.

Chandler

Thanks bczoom, I'll check those out. I found a boat mirror that I like but with a plastic roof I didn't know how I would mount it because I didn't want to drill holes in the roof. I found some mirrors that mount on the side tubes on allterrainvehicles.com but wasn't sure about the quality of them.</P>

DigOrange

I have been looking at the 4 or 5 panel rear view mirrors on ebay. My thinking is that it would be more protected from limbs etc...if it was protectedinside the cab. Has anyone tried these?</P>

Take a look...</P>

http://tinyurl.com/yajuss</P>

Chandler

I have seen those mirrors and they are probably okay. How will it mount?</P>

I decided to go with the side mount simply because I've gotten used to the side mirrors on my truck for backing up and also I'm not sure yet what I may install under the roof, such as a stereo, etc. I may get a rear view mirror later.The side mountsmay be a problem in the woods, but I think they'll be pretty easy to swing them in. I ordered my mirrors on kartaccessories.com</P>

DigOrange

I'm not sure how the multi-panel would mount. The eBay version "implies" it will work with the RTV. The price is good so I might order one and then re-post with the results. Would you let us know how your side views work out?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These pictures are old but it may give you an idea as an alternative.

Across the top front of my ROPS (inside the windshield), I created/installed what I call my "crap bar". This is a 3/4" steel pipe which is the same size as most ATV handlebars and racks. this allows me to utilize ATV type accessories. It's also the diameter that many mirrors want to clamp to.

Ingredients:
(1) 4' piece of steel pipe, threaded on both ends.
(2) end caps
(2) muffler clamps (I believe they were 1 3/4" or 2")
(2) 3/4" pipe clamps.
(1) can spray paint (ROPS grey from the dealer).

Screw the end caps on the 4' pipe.
Paint everything.
I put the muffler clamps around the front of the ROPS with the bolt heads pointing approximately towards the drivers chest. Snug them up so they stay in that position but don't torque as you may need to adjust.
On the lower bolt head that's coming off the muffler clamps, screw the 3/4" pipe clamps on until they're on all the way. Align so they'll accept the horizontal pipe. In my case, the upper bolts are hidden under the ceiling panel. You may want to cut the uppers off just for looks.
Put the horizontal pipe on those clamps and screw the covers on.
Adjust so everything is the way you like it (positioning and such).
Tighten everything down.

You can now hang mirrors, spotlights... from this. I like the RAM-mount accessories myself.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's Lexan so it's theoretically bulletproof (although I'm not going to try). [;)]

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi BCZOOM, Your RTV looks better every time I see your pictures. I don't remember seeing these. Almost looks like an airplane console. I really like the toggle switches. NICE!!!!!! bordercollie[&]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks bordercollie.

I really need to take new pics. Those are a couple years old and things look even better now. Re. the mirrors, the center one is still in place but the outboard one on the left has been replaced with one of the dome ones that give the wide angle view. A dome one is also on the left side.

Again, an older pic so a couple things aren't visible (winch, front hood rack...) but here's what the thing looks like in general.

BovsRTV

<FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=4>Hey there! I went onto ebay and got a set of jeep wrangler mirrors. they have all kinds on there, depends on how you want to mount them. For our application the Wrangler mirror workd perfect! Hope this helps!</FONT>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="BovsRTV"]<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="4">For our application the Wrangler mirror workd perfect! Hope this helps!</font>[/quote]
Bovs,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a closer pic of the mirrors and doors?

How are the worksite tires working for you? I see you're setup for plowing. Got any snow?

BovsRTV

Hi again! I will get closer and better pictures when the weather here clears. We are presently getting the freezing rain here just west of Albany, NY and everything has about 1/4" of ice all over! As for plowing, we just got the rig back from the dealer with the new plow and have not used it yet. I plan to come back onto the forum and give a review once we've plowed some. As for the tires, we don't expect any problems as the 400' drive is flat and is gravel. I will let everyone know how everything works. We also plan on strapping in my buddy heater for heat in the cab mainly to keep the windows from fogging up. The buddy heater will get strapped in on the seat with a piece of 1/4" cement board between heater and seat. This is just for plowing with one person in the cab and there's plenty of air gaps too for ventilation as to prevent monoxide poisoning. Keep watching for more posts!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="BovsRTV"] We also plan on strapping in my buddy heater for heat in the cab mainly to keep the windows from fogging up. The buddy heater will get strapped in on the seat with a piece of 1/4" cement board between heater and seat.[/quote]
Is the buddy heater the kind that uses those 1 pound (or whatever they are) little green propane tanks?

If so, they fit pretty nicely in the cup holder area.
Remover the rubber cup holder (so you just have the hole).
About 1/2 way up the propane tank, there's a seam. Run a couple layers of ele. tape over the seam. Slide the tank into the cup holder until the tape rests on top of the cup holder lip. Voila!

Knoxville

Bczoom,</P>

Good looking machine! I noticed your tires in the photo.....What kind of pressure are you running, and what is the maximum on the sidewall? Everytime I start to buy aftermarket tires I am limited by the low pressure max. </P>

Anyway, nice work and I have got to get a holster like that!</P>

Best Regards,</P>

Knoxville</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Knoxville

I think I'm running about 15-20 psi. Maxxis recommends you use the pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. I don't recall what's on that little plate on the back of the ROPS but it's in that range. If I'm doing some very heavy hauling, I add a couple more pounds to the rear tires.

Brian

Knoxville

Brian,</P>

Good to hear from you. Like you, I'm familiar with the sticker on the rops. Before I sent you the note yesterday I looked on the Maxxis website with and saw the "recommended by the vehicle manufacturer". I was wondering if they stamped anything on the actual tire itself. The only reason I am curious is that most of the aftermarket tires that I have been looking at will allow a high pressure bead set (36psi), but only about a 7 psi constant max after that. If the Maxxis will hold more,than it is in a whole different class and a better fit for the RTV with its heavy weight. </P>

Best Regards,</P>

Ryan</P>