Front locker substitution.

Hawk

So I was sitting around watching an off-road program and i came up with this idea.

For those of you that are looking for front lockers, sorry to say there is none (yet), there is a method called BTM. Brake Throttle Modulation (fancy way of saying keeping your foot on the brake while accelerating), might be able to get you through and over things typically impassible. Although it is not even close to what a locker might achieve, it is better than nothing at all. This is a technique stolen from a different vehicle but it should work in theory. This is the way it works.

With an open differential, if one tire gets stuck, the other spins. The theory behind BTM is applying the brake while accelerating to simulate traction for the front tires. When the brake is applied, it provides equal friction to each tire thereby simulating a sure footing for each tire. When the front tires slip, apply the brake hard enough so that you can feel the tires "locking" but not enough to "bog" down the engine. DO NOT mistake this for a locker, this is closest thing we have to it, BTM for the RTV 900 will not provide an equal tire spin on extreme obstacles. If the brake were to be pushed harder it might give better performance, this is where the discussion on the RTV being underpowered comes in.

I got up and went out to a log pile i have to try this out. I positioned my RTV in a way that would lift one of the front tires off the ground and took off the rear locker. I was able to to get up over different sized logs using different techniques. When pushing the brake I could feel the vehicle push forward but only for a moment. I got the best result by "hopping" on and off the brake pedal while accelerating.

I hope this works for the rest of you I would like to hear if it does or not. I hope I explained it in the right way.
Ride on guys.
-Hawk