rtv 900 transmission slip

Rodeking

Two of my fiends and myself each have a rtv900. The 04 model will spin the rear tires and climb our "test" hill in 3rd gear. It pulls better than my other friends 06 model. My 05 will climb the same hill in 2nd when cold, will not climb it when warmed up. Does not matter if full throttle or soft pedaled. Motor runs full rpm's and rtv just comes to a stop and sit there. Will not even untrack on test hill. Dealer no help so far but are trying and eager to help. I have heard that there was a quality control problem with these units, was there? Dealer says that he sold a new one last week that would spin the tires and really accellerate. More so than other new ones they have sold . Whats the deal or the fix?</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For the situations you described, many have found that a tranny fluid change fixes the issue(s).

Stick with OEM filters and Super UDT.

Rodeking

Thanks for the input. rtv has been this way since new. 230 hours and three complete fluid and filter changes have made no difference. I bought a shop manual but there really is not much left to do except replace the hydro unit. Maybe Kubota will make there warranty good since this has been a warranty claim since last spring.

doggman

Out of curiosity what does the 2006 model do on the hill climb? You said it didn't pull as well as the 2004. </P>

It's too bad Kubota doesn't print the drawbar pull for the RTV. It would be helpful. It's kind of like their obvious ommision on suspension travel specifications. </P>

Rodeking

I helped the suspension problem by cutting theback twospring hangers and extending them 2 inches. It now has more articulation and does not bottom out on every un level spot.

Rodeking

<FONT face="Courier New">rtv back to shop this past week. all new fluids and filters. Checked pressure cold and was very good then check fluid when warm and pressure dropped 40%. It must have a bad pump and or motor. They are going to call factory rep for advice. Switched relief valves and no different.</FONT>

G

i also have mine in the shop right now.thay took it apart today to check the transimision and also said thay was going to call the factory rep. to see what to check for.two of my brothers also have rtv 900 one is a 04 we bought them the same day and the other is a 06 both of them can out climb me in medium gear.mine just bogs down some time i can barly make it sometimes i have to go to low thay can out climb mein all gears . and yes i have change the fluid twice and filters used super udt and yes i under stand about the half pedal and the back up pump .sometime i barly make it in low up a steep hill i personnally think its the secondary pump motor or what ever its called thats bad any way there checking it out. i lovemy rtv and would not trade it for anything just wont it fix my hope is that kubota will help me out with the cost if infact there something broke or premature wear.it has 250 hrs on it and has not been abuse.ill keep you guy post on what thay find thank by the way this is a great site been reading these post for a while now and desided to jump in.</P>

kubota men

[:cool:]ok i figured out how to join this forum. i called the dealer today and thay found some abnormal brass wear plates. he said the first one made 04 modals had some under speck to soft brass plate and the factory rep. said to replace them with new ones at no cost to me except labor . i guest its fair enough not my fault the original one wore to fast may argue with him on the labor by the way he said it was not much. he explained what the brass wear plates did he said its what the piston in the transimision sealed against and the new one sealed better.i just hope its fix the problem and makeit as least as good as the other two rtv my brothers has tired of getting smoked on hills. he also said thay have done to other one like mine and it fix the problem he have it done be the 28 i pick it up and let you guys know if its fix</P>

Rodeking

Just an update on the RTV900 trannie repair. I got mine back out of the dealers today and drove it. They had replaced the three "swash plates" in the trannie. It works fine now. The three plates were made of brass and one of them was very bad and warped. Dealers mechanic said that the new plates that he installed were steel with a brass coating on them. Now when I give it the throttle the trannie engages and the vehicle builds speedalong with rpm's.Before, the rpm's wouldgo to full and the RTV900's speed would gradually build.

kubota men

thats the same thing thay done to mine i asume it the same thay call them brass plates and said the original ones was to soft and the replacment ones had more steel in them i thought thay said thay replaced two plates in mine it helped the hill climbing ability alot its as good as my two brothers now the best thing is zero cost from me except the cost in transporting it 90 miles each way mine is a 04 and way out of warrenty the kubota company is great about stuff like that i am a happy camper now