Hello from Northern Virginia

DCox

Hi, NetTractorTalk Members:

I joined the forum a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading various posts. They have been very helpful.

A few weeks ago we closed on a house and five rural acres. It is a perfect set-up to develop into a small farm: a perfect location for a pond, an area for raising goats, chickens, and cultivating a good size garden, etc.--with no restrictions.

I have been looking into used and new tractors in the area, and will probably take the plunge in May. It is hard deciding whether to go with some of the very attractive financial incentives for new equipment vs. the lower cost of the used. I have at least narrowed it down to probably being a Kubota (good dealers both east and west of us)--though I am still trying to determine the best size for our needs.

I look forward to learning and chatting more with all of you in the future.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome DCox! Congrats on your new place. 5 acres will give you some space for sure.
So, your in the market for a tractor. Awesome. Some of the sub compact tractors are small enough to fit into tight places (for cleaning stalls or whatnot, plus they can do some heavy duty work.
Do youself a favor and sit in some of the seats, as many as you can. Drive them around the dealers lot. Try out hydrostat and shuttle shift trannys. For tight working quarters or for a lot of front end loader work hydrostat sure is nice. I have hydro on my 30hp kubota and love it. All my tractors before that were standard / manual shift. No problem with shifting, but if your are mowing it sure is nice not to have to mess with a clutch when you are changing directions and all.
I starated out with used and because of that would recommend you take a close look at new or slightly used. The dealer incentive for financing, and longer terns on new tractors can make a lower payment for new. :thumb: Plus you'll have dealer support for when you are just getting started tractoring. That's always a good thing.
Enough rambling. Hope it helps you a little.
When you are ready start a thread in the Buying / Pricing forum and we'll help you as best we can.
Thanks for joining.
Enjoy and post often! :thumb:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum!

Post some pictures of your place when you have a minute?

What part of Northern VA? I'm on 5 acres in Loudoun north of Purcellville. We also have 30 1/2 acres in Franklin County.

Both of the Kubota dealers in the area are great and I've bought some parts from the one over the line in Maryland and they seem good too. Size really depends on what you are planning to do. We had several acres of dense vines and trees to clear so I needed something along the lines of Doc's. Now that all the cleanup and heavy stuff is done we have a BX2350 that is just the right size. The L3400 is going to Franklin county in a few weeks to start clean up there.

Jim

N

Nicahawk

Welcome DCox! Noticed you signed on in Feb, so you've been watching/reading enough to know this is a good place to get a lot of knowledgeable advice. Like Doc and Jim, I have a Kubota also and really like it. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. Be sure and post some pictures of your new place and your tractor when you get it.
Glad you found us!
Nica

xPosTech

:wave:

Welcome to the tractor knowledge place, DCox. You'll like it here. Ask questions, get answers.

Virginia, huh? I never will understand why anyone would want to live anyplace other than Texas. :rolleyes:

Ted

DCox

Welcome to the Forum!

What part of Northern VA? I'm on 5 acres in Loudoun north of Purcellville. We also have 30 1/2 acres in Franklin County.

Jim

Thanks everyone for your greetings!

Jim, we just moved from Purcellville, which is where I teach (Patrick Henry College). The house and property we just bought is about 25 miles west on Rt. 7, and then about a mile or so north (Stephenson). I actually like the drive each morning through all the peaceful farm area.

I look forward to getting folks' input in a couple weeks.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for your greetings!

Jim, we just moved from Purcellville, which is where I teach (Patrick Henry College). The house and property we just bought is about 25 miles west on Rt. 7, and then about a mile or so north (Stephenson). I actually like the drive each morning through all the peaceful farm area.

I look forward to getting folks' input in a couple weeks.

WELCOME NEIGHBOR! I'm 1 1/2 miles N of the college just off the Berlin Turnpike. Third right (I think) after you pass the Green Store :wink:

All the Kubota dealers in the area seem to be great. there seem to be a lot of decent used deals in the Valley Trader. The BP and 7/11's have them.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WELCOME NEIGHBOR! I'm 1 1/2 miles N of the college just off the Berlin Turnpike. Third right (I think) after you pass the Green Store :wink:

All the Kubota dealers in the area seem to be great. there seem to be a lot of decent used deals in the Valley Trader. The BP and 7/11's have them.

Very Kewl. Small world huh? :thumb: