John Deere 2840

JoeRandall

Hey everyone. Looking for some help.
John Deere 2840.
Was driving and every now and then it would cut out and die. Acting like it ran out of fuel. Would wait a min. and it I could start it back up. The last time it died It would not restart. At the time it was getting fuel and the tank was full. But now it was left out and fuel lines have been bent and cut from a bunch of vandalizing kids. So now I need to fix those before I can find out the other problem so I’m asking to try to get a jump on fixing it. So any info would be a help. Also the starter gets really hot after only cranking for a min. I had not noticed this before so I believe it is a new symptom.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like it may be electrical.

Are you in a cold climate? Just trying to see if freezing could be part of the problem

Merton

Joe Sound like you may need to check your Fuel Filter and Replace. Your Starter also will need to rebuilt soon too.

JoeRandall

fuel filters have been replaced in December and only used twice after that until now. Well got all the fuel lines fixed and wires that were cut fixed went to crank to check for any fuel leaks and it started. So now im lost cause the stuff I fixed was fine when It broke down. So I have an odd feeling its going to die out again but I guess only time will tell.

Merton

Joe - Check fuel tank for trash. Your fuel lines may have a small bit of trash in them. 2840's were dependable tractors in their day.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Merton. The vandals that cut the lines might have messed with the tank. We had a silly o ring on the final fuel filter swell up and caused us all sorts of grief .We also had a loader cylinder that would not work. Turns out the hose had broken down internally and put components through out that side of the system .Had to purge the whole side . Do you hear the fuel pump operate strongly when you have the key on? Good Luck. Bordercollie

JoeRandall

I cant hear the fuel pump over the motor its a motor mount pump not electric. The O-rings on the filter assembly are good. I will check for trash in the gas tank tomorrow. I'm off today. I need to go over the whole thing tomorrow again just to make sure I didn't miss anything that may have been compromised.