Pics of our " new " old 240D

splat55

Wooohooo...got my tractor here yesterday...man, what a long week!
Just thought I'd share a few pics of the tractor as it looks right now before cleanup....or running. Battery for it this afternoon....then I'm going to try and fire it....but if anyone can tell me where to start trouble shooting the problem I'm having, it would surely be apprecaited since I don't have manuals yet and I'm a SBC & Carb guy...so 2 Cyl. diesels are totally new to me. All I know at this point is that when it was running yesterday, it wouldn't idle unless the throttle lever was up a ways so you kind of had to keep your foot on the floor throttle. Sorry, but I wasn't even me sitting in the tractor when it was running so I hope to be able to tell you more later today when finally there is a battery in it and I'm sitting in the seat with it running. But I'd really like to start trouble shooting it if possible.

Attachments

• 620 - 1.jpg
    620 - 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 620 - 2.jpg
    620 - 2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 620 - 3.jpg
    620 - 3.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 620 - 4.jpg
    620 - 4.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 51

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gorgeous!!!

Zero throttle is the kill position, there isn't any other shutoff.

Up a couple of inches is normal idle. Up another three inches is warm-weather start position where, as the manual recommends, it will idle 1500 rpm for warmup.

The book recommends full throttle cold start but on mine that seems to flood it with raw unburned fuel vapor blown out the exhaust.

It should idle smoothly clear down past 800 rpm but including terrible clanking below 1,000. For comparison see (listen) to the sound file at the bottom of my sig photos page.

As I've posted elsewhere, a former farm worker now working at Autozone recommended Autozone's $59 Dual Purpose Marine/Starting battery (Group 27) for these. He said they don't self-discharge if left idle for months, which is what you need for seasonal equipment like harvesters etc. And the 1,000 Cranking Amps is plenty. That's equivalent to 850 CCA and the book calls for 550 CCA if I remember right. I thought this was the best bargain under $100. It works great.

Now I want the 4x4 version!!!!

Gotta run, we're departing for a family reunion.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics. Nice Tractor you got there.

I heard all good stuff about Auto Zone batteries. The manager of the store said the place that makes the Duralast betteries also makes Die Hards and Internationals. Very good company. Folks at my boat club swear by them. :thumb:

splat55

Hey, thanks for the info California!! The guy that was like the " middle man " for the lady selling the tractor didn't tell me that if the throttle was all the way down, it was supposed to die. Is that what your saying? So, you don't use the key for shutting down? Also, I noticed last night that the key doesn't come out of the ignition....is that the norm...or is there something wrong with my ignition? Man, that question probably tells about how much I know about this tractor, huh? I listened to your sound file....now I need to try to get mine running to listen to it. Even the guy who loaded and delivered my tractor didn't say anything about the throttle being all the way down should cause it to die....but then, he didn't seem to know a lot about Yanmars....but seemed to know quite a bit about tractors cause he uses them daily. Another thing he mentioned was that he couldn't find anything for locking the rear diff.....so maybe these don't lock is what I said....he said they all lock. Well, again, the manual would come in handy here.
Man, I didn't get a chance to read your post here before I went to town. Anyway, I purchased a group 27 battery at napa....but only a 700 CA battery...I hope it's enough cause I don't think they will take it back....maybe they will. I jumped the tractor with the battery in my truck yesterday, and it's only about 700 CA.....and even without a decent connection, it spun that little motor about as fast as your motor in your sound clip....so I'm hoping it will do the trick. If not, I'll just yank it out and go back to Napa. Hey, another thing I just noticed this morning...that there is a decal on the fender over the PTO engaging mech. and it says , 540, N, PTO, 1000.....So, does that mean it is 2 speed PTO? I thought I'd read on the Yanmar site that they didn't do 2 speed PTO's in tractors built for the U.S.......Did I read that wrong, or did I end up with a gray market rig?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hey, thanks for the info California!! The guy that was like the " middle man " for the lady selling the tractor didn't tell me that if the throttle was all the way down, it was supposed to die. Is that what your saying?
Yep. it's as simple as a lawn mower, zero throttle = kill.
So, you don't use the key for shutting down?
Nope. All that does is quit charging the battery. The engine doesn't know the difference.

No fuel pump, no fuel shutoff solenoid, no computer, no electric anything on the engine. Just charging circuit, starter, horn, headlights.

And maybe the optional Thermostart which is a cigarette lighter-type heating element screwed into the manifold below the air cleaner. It has a tiny bottle for diesel that dribbles in and burns when you turn the key left, to preheat before starting. Similar to glowplugs on other diesels except this heats the intake air for cold weather starts. Not needed if you don't start in freezing weather.
noticed last night that the key doesn't come out of the ignition.
That's not right. But its harmless.
...couldn't find anything for locking the rear diff..
Step on the lever behind your right heel.
purchased a group 27 battery at napa....but only a 700 CA battery...
Nothing wrong with that. Especially in this mild climate. NAPA is top quality and 550 CCA would be enough, that's what it calls for. That battery I described was simply the only group 27 I could find under $100.
I just noticed this morning...that there is a decal on the fender over the PTO engaging mech. and it says , 540, N, PTO, 1000.....So, does that mean it is 2 speed PTO?
Yes.
I thought I'd read on the Yanmar site that they didn't do 2 speed PTO's in tractors built for the U.S.......Did I read that wrong, or did I end up with a gray market rig?
US Yanmar has the two standard US speeds, 540/1000. Gray yanmar has three. 540 plus 750?? and 1200???.

You also have an important safety feature that is missing from the Gray Yanmars: an overrun 'clutch' (ratchet) inside the pto. Sounds like a huge bicycle coaster brake. CLICK-CLICK-CLICK. With this, a high inertia implement (rotary mower) can't push you forward after you depress the clutch. It's noisy; the noise is harmless.

splat55

Hey, thanks California.....I feel a little better knowing this info you passed to me. I was a little worried about a couple of things...but so far, it sounds as though right now, besides getting it running right, the key stuck in the ignition is my only other worry. I am going to start a new thread here....pertaining to the way my tractor is running and other things I found today....If you get a chance, can you take a look at it....you may have some very useful input for me...cause again, I may not have a manual until late next week...and well, do ya know how it feels to wait a week for your tractor...then get it home and feel a bit paranoid about doing much with it because of the way it's running.
I think it would probably be best to start a new thread for that info. But I apprecaite you answering all those questions for me....I've got a ton more for ya in the next thread if your interested in teaching me more. Thanks again.

Brian

Yep. it's as simple as a lawn mower, zero throttle = kill. Nope. All that does is quit charging the battery. The engine doesn't know the difference.

No fuel pump, no fuel shutoff solenoid, no computer, no electric anything on the engine. Just charging circuit, starter, horn, headlights.

And maybe the optional Thermostart which is a cigarette lighter-type heating element screwed into the manifold below the air cleaner. It has a tiny bottle for diesel that dribbles in and burns when you turn the key left, to preheat before starting. Similar to glowplugs on other diesels except this heats the intake air for cold weather starts. Not needed if you don't start in freezing weather.That's not right. But its harmless.Step on the lever behind your right heel.Nothing wrong with that. Especially in this mild climate. NAPA is top quality and 550 CCA would be enough, that's what it calls for. That battery I described was simply the only group 27 I could find under $100.Yes.US Yanmar has the two standard US speeds, 540/1000. Gray yanmar has three. 540 plus 750?? and 1200???.

You also have an important safety feature that is missing from the Gray Yanmars: an overrun 'clutch' (ratchet) inside the pto. Sounds like a huge bicycle coaster brake. CLICK-CLICK-CLICK. With this, a high inertia implement (rotary mower) can't push you forward after you depress the clutch. It's noisy; the noise is harmless.