Got my grandads 1951 Super A...

mattymattSuperA

The only problem is the engine block is cracked. I would like to fix it but I don't think the block is repairable. If anyone could tell me where I might get another block or if my block might be repairable it would be greatly appreciated.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us.

How big is the crack? Do you have an picture of it? How do you know it has a crack ...did you get it running and saw it or what? They used some heavy duty material back then and I suspect it can be fixed, depending on the size of the crack.

mattymattSuperA

Thanks glad to be here and have my grandads old tractor,it brings back old memories and good times.
Well unfortunately I noticed 2 cracks. They are both about 1 inch long they don't look like much but I did see water coming from the cracks when the tractor was moved. It ran about 4-5 yrs ago. I can still turn the engine with my hand so I no Its not locked up. I don't have a picture but I will take one and try to get it posted today after work.

Klumpe

Welcome, glad to see another IH/Farmall owner.

While the block could be repaired, it might be cheaper in the long run to find a used block/engine and do a rebuild. This way you would have a rebuilt engine that should last a lifetime if all you are using the Super A for is hobby and goofing around.

At the family blacksmith shop, we've seen alot of cast items come in. Although we have fixed them mostly because they were family heirloom kind of items, my Dad and I have told the customers that it won't be the same in strength.

The biggest problem we run into with welding cast items is that it must be extremely clean for the weld to take any kind of hold. As you said it has been sitting for some years now and has obviously oxidized and for it to be an inch long crack, that makes it extremely difficult to get cleaned. The other thing to cast metal welding is you have to get it really hot before welding and then let it cool down slowly.

You would be having to disassemble the engine anyways, so you might be better off doing like I said earlier and and finding a different engine and rebuilding it. This way it is a fresh engine with the same structoral strength as it left the factory.

mattymattSuperA

I would like to find another engine but right now they seem to be in short supply. In the last week alone Ive been to look at three super A's. Each one was sold before I could even get there. Im gona keep loking though.Maby Ill get lucky before long.

Klumpe

Look to see if there are any tractor junkyards/salvage yards in your area. They might have what you are looking for.

Hey matt, have you seen this site yet? I was looking through some old favorites I had saved.

Wenger's of Myerstown

wengers dot com/parts

Farmall A CYLINDER BLOCK $650.00 IN STOCK