MX5000 vs L4400

e_glaude

Hello all, I was hoping to get some opinions and advise on the MX5000 and L4400 botas. I am looking for a 50hp, give or take, with a decent front end loader to level the yard I have, spread dirt, lift logs, etc, and more or less used for weekend yard work. No commercial work, only use will be me. The MX5000 I am looking at is a 4x4 while the L is a 2X4. I've read that for any kind of FEL work, a 4x4 is the way to go. Other than a bit of extra weigth on the MX, and a 4x4, they both seen to be really good tractors. I know that 4x4 can have mechanical problems eventually, and not sure if the hydraulics are the same on each unit. I will have to ask a few more questions before I do anything.
If you have any experiences with either of these, I would appreciate your reply.
Thanks! :tiphat:
PS Just an update on my ZD18 ZTR - Absolutely a fantastic machine and will mow anything. Brought her home this weekend and cleaned it all up. Looks like a new one! The diesel power is awesome and control is outstanding. Takes a bit to get used to, but what a mower. Changing all the fluids next!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would go with the 4x4. I had a 2wd tractor prior to my 4x4. It was a few less HP but I never ran out of power, just traction. My Kubota is just 4hp more, but with 4 wd it out works the 2wd tractor hands down. Only way to go IMHO.
I would also recommend hydro for the tranny. Makes it so nice for FEL work or simple maneuvering.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide on.

urednecku

I also strongly suggest 4wd with a FEL. I've only had mine a little over 2 years, and am on pretty level ground, but there have been several times I would have had to dump part of my load to have any control. (Yea, I did have weight on the rear, too!)
Besides the traction, there is also that safety factor.
JMO

PaulS

I have a L4400HST with a FEL 4WD. I have had no problems with it. I would highly recomend 4WD and HST. The 4WD really makes a difference when moving heavy loads. I have had the tractor for about two years. I used a tractor that was basically the same HP without 4WD it is not near as strong as the 4WD with the FEL.

Kerry

I have a 07 L4240 HST and love it. If you want a front loader you have to have 4X4.
A friend of mine had an old Ford with a loader. We had to put a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete on the 3 point to just to dig gravel with it. HST will spoil you. It is well worth the money.