Yanmar mower pto driveline problem

Hi all. I posted this over on forumforums but figured I had better post it here as well for those of you that dont go over there much.
Anyway, I am having to replace the PTO driveline for my yanmar finish mower. Its a model 45 I think. Anyway, I cannot see how to remove the shaft from the gearbox on the mower. Most drivelines I have ever replaced were just pinned and then slid off. This one isnt pinned though there is a hole seemingly for one but when I probe I hit solid metal..I think just the shaft into the gearbox. I have tried prying it to slide it off but it doesnt move. So before I started getting more insistant with it...by brute force, I figured I better ask here from some of you experts. :respect:
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 13

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dunno, but PlanB might be to press the cups out and leave the yoke attached.

Does the hole have a duplicate on the other side?
If not, then that hole probably has a set screw at the bottom of it...:D

Yea, there is a matching hole on the opposing side.
And if there is/was a set screw, then likely it was damaged pretty good by my trying to pound the supposed pin out. :shitHitsFan::pat:

Leaving it for today so I can ponder the issue overnight. Take a fresh look at it in the morning. Then if I still cant get it out, will pick the mower up and put it in my truck and haul it in to the shop in town. One nice thing about having that FEL on the tractor.

I dunno, but PlanB might be to press the cups out and leave the yoke attached.

Or just load the whole thing in the truck and take it in to the shop in town. :wink: I hate paying the labor charges but rather do that than take a chance on doing more damage to it. Its kinda my fault that the joint went out anyway. The driveline, where it stretches and extends as its being moved had frozen in position. It was frozen in the length needed to run the mower at height but occasionally I put strain on it by changing height before shutting off the pto. So with that frozen not sure if it can even be heated to break the rust bond. Might...but thats what happens when you get lazy and use your implements without making sure they are in perfect working order. :pat: Thats kinda why I figured I would need to replace the whole driveline. But then I discovered that it wasnt like other drivelines I have worked on and swapped out....like on my bush hog.

Archdean

I suspect that you are looking at a broken quick "press to disconnect pin" or at the very least a shear pin (that has already served it's function)

Recommend that you try to rotate the yoke on the PTO shaft till you can remove the broken pin with a drift, it will tell you when it is lined up properly!

I suspect that you are looking at a broken quick "press to disconnect pin" or at the very least a shear pin (that has already served it's function)

Recommend that you try to rotate the yoke on the PTO shaft till you can remove the broken pin with a drift, it will tell you when it is lined up properly!

The fact that there is a hole on the opposite side...I agree it probably is a shear pin sans heads...:D

Mark777

DITTO!!

Only two people that stock parts, manuals and are very good with information concerning "How To's". This is my 'go to' guy: www.peq.com - Parker Equipment Company Address: 10144 Franklin Street City: Thorsby State: AL Zip: 35171 Phone: 205-646-3033 Fax: 205-646-3749 Email: dparker@peq.com

He is an absolute wizard with Yanmar parts and implements....

Mark

rj's barn

check the OD of the input shaft on the gear box for a "c-ring". CV shafts are sometimes built like that. This one may have been designed by the same methodology. Good luck!