New to board - Responses welcomed!

bobrady

Hi found this forum and have enjoyed the camraderie shared. I am a Florida flat-lander who just purchased a 25 acre ranch/farm? near hickory,N.C.. Approximately 18 acres are/were pasture with rest wooded.The property has significant slope and all my research about mowing slope tells me I should sell the property and buy something flat. Probably should have researched first! I am going to need a tractor sooner than later and believe I'll need a FEL and bush hogger to turn thicket back to pasture. Don't plan on any planting/farming and wife skittish around horses so plans are to let 3 grandsons run around on it.
Question is: What type tractor can handle the slopes, minimum HP needed? attachments? 2WD or 4WD?
i found a New Holland 6640 but haven't a clue if it would be too much /too little or not appropriate for handling slope. As you can tell, the slope has me concerned.
Thanks, for any and all responses
Bobrady

To a flatlander almost any slope can be significant...:D

You should go out and get some actual readings...because if the slopes are steep enough...you want to be careful on your tractor purchase...for example rule out any tractor with NARROW WHEELBASES and HIGH COGs...

If you have slopes like this...here is a product for you...
slope-mow-3.jpg

http://www.power-trac.com/tsmclass.htm#1850

...or maybe your slopes are like this...:D

slope-mow-2.jpg

Safety NOTE: DO NOT let your grandchildren operate equipment on these kinds of slopes...:)

bobrady

Paul,
Thanks for the input. your picture might have slightly more slope than I have but most who have seen my property said do NOT attempt to mow across the hill, only go up or down. The Power-trac would probably be ideal but my "can't affords" are ranking higher than my "wish I hads". Didn't know that some tractors have significantly lower COG than others. Had several flat-lander friends tell me I'm biting off more than I can chew! Would love to prove them wrongsome day in the future.
Thanks again, bobrady

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
bobrady,
Welcome to NTT, glad you found us.
The best bet for really sloped land is, of course, moving up and down not across. But we'd need to know exactly what kind of slope you're dealing with.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Bob! Welcome to NTT. I'm glad you found us and joined up. :thumb:

I was in the same predicament as you a few years ago. I have mostly hills and had the same concerns about what would get the job done. I shopped and shopped for the right tractor. I could not be sure what it would take to tackle my terrain. I visited the power-trac factory and gave those a serious consideration. I couldn't afford the one Paul pictured either (at the time it was 25k+) but I looked very hard at it's baby brother. After plenty of gut wrenching I decided on a 4wd Kubota 30hp hydrostat tractor. I actually bought more tractor than I intended because of a rebate going on at the time. I was going to buy a B2910 but for just $200 more I got a Grand L 3010. A much beefier tractor. This was back in 2002. For the first few months I thought i might have bought to much tractor, but time proved over and over again that I ended up with the best sized tractor for my needs.
Prior to all this I had a Ford 8N 2wd tractor and a 17hp Mitsubushi 2wd tracor. I knew for sure that I needed 4wd. I'm sure you'll be better off with 4wd also.
I have the same stuff you are considering, a FEL and a bush hog / rotary cutter! Both are indispensable.
As for HP and size the 30HP Grand L weighs 4000lbs with loaded tires. I suspect 30HP would be a workhorse for you also.

When you buy a tractor you will be starting a long relationship with whoever you buy from. Hopefully you can find a good dealer who will assist you through the buying process. Sit in the seats and ge the feel of each brand. Some might bring a tractor out to your place to try out on your property. Ask lots of questions, and wander through the service area. Is it clean and professional looking? The little things can make a BIG difference and all helps with your buying decision.
Good hunting ....er I mean shopping and please keep us posted. :D

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
When you buy a tractor you will be starting a long relationship with whoever you buy from.

WHA??????? My dealer has no idea who I am:). Other than a few set-up issues at first my tractor has been in his shop for a 50 hour service and not returned since. Yeah I stop in every year and pick up filters and maybe oil. But this thing has been a dream, no dealer service needed.
Just teasing Doc, I knew what you meant with your post, but this tractor of mine just keeps taking a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, me to Jerry. I've only had mine back for the 50 hour service too. But I do shop for implements and tractor stuff. They knew me the 1st year or two while I was regularly buying, but if I stepped in the shop today I doubt they would remember me right off. But if I ever need service I won't hesitate on where I have my baby taken care of. :D

WHA??????? My dealer has no idea who I am:). Other than a few set-up issues at first my tractor has been in his shop for a 50 hour service and not returned since. Yeah I stop in every year and pick up filters and maybe oil. But this thing has been a dream, no dealer service needed.
Just teasing Doc, I knew what you meant with your post, but this tractor of mine just keeps taking a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Well, if you end up in the AG end of the tractor game...your dealer will remember you, just because that is the way those guys are wired...:D

The Parts Manager and the Shop Supervisor will definitely learn who you are...:D

Paul,
Thanks for the input. your picture might have slightly more slope than I have but most who have seen my property said do NOT attempt to mow across the hill, only go up or down. The Power-trac would probably be ideal but my "can't affords" are ranking higher than my "wish I hads". Didn't know that some tractors have significantly lower COG than others. Had several flat-lander friends tell me I'm biting off more than I can chew! Would love to prove them wrongsome day in the future.
Thanks again, bobrady

Remember the Power-Trac has plenty of attachments for each of their units...:D

Erik

Welcome to the forum!
shop around, see what tractors fit you the best, then start looking at price tags.
once you know what's comfortable to sit in and has controls in the best place for you, then you can start shopping and negitiating prices. (not to mention looking at auction rags, craigs list, etc...)
for what you want to do, I heartily recommend 4 wheel drive if you're looking at a compact. 30-40 HP should be "plenty".
on the other hand, an older 2 wheel drive would save you a lot of $$ to start, so there are plusses and minuses to each side of the coin.

good luck, get some pictures of the land so folks have a better idea of what they're offering advice on, and we'll look forward to many posts in the future!

Archdean

bobrady, as others have said a picture or two from different angles would help us with helping you, most of us can post any type of pic if you can send it to us in any form by e-mail! And I would be happy to do that!

I work a fairly steep slope at my lake front and there are some really safe options available, perhaps you just need to feel comfortable in doing that and then we can go from there!

jbrumberg

:wave:bobrady:

Welcome to NTT :tiphat:. There are a lot of experienced tractor operators here at NTT :respect:. SCUT's and CUT's appear tippy due to their high COG and relatively narrow footprint. I would recommend HST, 4WMFWD, a FEL, weighted rears (I choose R-1's), and a tractor in the 30's range of HP. Slope is relative to experience. I always work up and down my slope. I try not exceed 15 degrees of tilt :eek: due to unseen :shock: and:ohmy: ground surface anomolies when operating my tractor especially when using my frount end loader (FEL). Pictures do not really give a good perspective of slope.

Attachments

• Hill Slope 001 (Medium).jpg
    Hill Slope 001 (Medium).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Hill Slope 002 (Medium).jpg
    Hill Slope 002 (Medium).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 336
  • Hill Slope 003 (Medium).jpg
    Hill Slope 003 (Medium).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 322
N

Nicahawk

Don't want to get off subject here but......

Anyone else have trouble opening the pictures in Paul C's no. 2 post? I just have boxes with a red x in them..........

Archdean

Slope pictures posted for bobrady

It really doesn't look that bad so far and top part seems best suited to a good heavy rider with a center deck the lower part looks like any cut would work with a bush hog!

Here are your pictures and hope others have some ideas for you!
Slopejpg2.jpg

Dean

Attachments

• Slope.jpg1.jpg
    Slope.jpg1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
N

Nicahawk

Got em, (pictures) just went thru another summer thunderstorm here.........67mph wind and 2.12" rain in about 45 min.

I went to the storm room in the basement.

zionview

Don't rule out some simple things to deal with your slopes, like turning your rear wheels out to gain some width. We did that to three lawn tractors in the 70's and 80's to mow slopes around our farm buildings. They were pre- ROPS and seatbelts, but with a little luck and some common sense, we all survived. At work, they just bought a 30HP John Deere with the 24"(?) rear wheels set very close, and proceeded to mow some steep slopes with it. I can't watch. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Erik

Got em, (pictures) just went thru another summer thunderstorm here.........67mph wind and 2.12" rain in about 45 min.

I went to the storm room in the basement.

it didn't hit NE Ks until about 9 -- right after the guy finished baling the pasture next to me. We had lots of lightining, but not the winds you had.