Towing the tractor on the road?

wildcard

I used to see a guy around here towing his backhoe down the road by putting the bucket on the flat bed (Im sure he had some sort of hitch) then lifting the front wheels and off he went. It sure wouold be nice to be able to do that for short runs when I need both truck and tractor. Does anyone know if it will hurt the tractor? Im not worried about the legal part.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure sounds crazy to me. I've never seen anything like that. If I did I'd take a picture. :eek: So you'd let the rear wheels free wheel?
If I needed both on a job site I'd get someone to drive whichever vehicle I didn't drive there.

wildcard

It's Alaska, we are a little crazy, but it worked well. Im just wondering if it will cause any harm? He left the engine running and in neurtral to keep it lubed I presume.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's Alaska, we are a little crazy, but it worked well. Im just wondering if it will cause any harm? He left the engine running and in neurtral to keep it lubed I presume.

Ahhh, it's Alaska. I see. :D :yum:

We have a member over on www.forumsforums.com from Alaska. He works with tugs and stuff up there. His member name is fogtender if you feel link checking out his profile. A very stand up guy! :thumb:

I used to see a guy around here towing his backhoe down the road by putting the bucket on the flat bed (Im sure he had some sort of hitch) then lifting the front wheels and off he went. It sure wouold be nice to be able to do that for short runs when I need both truck and tractor. Does anyone know if it will hurt the tractor? Im not worried about the legal part.

If he EXCEEDS the top ground speed for his unit...then he is probably wearing something incorrectly, probably the rear axle complex...even with the unit idling...:rolleyes:

Bindian

I have seen it done with a dump truck before. Just hooked the bucket over the dump gate.
hugs, Brandi