Tiller Size?

lamoka

Looking into picking up a tiller for my MFGC2610TLB 25hp subcompact. I will be tilling in some pretty high clay areas to pretty much gravel, my first thought was no bigger then a 48" but I have had several people tell me a 60" would be fine. I definately want one with a slip cluch to protect my tractor just a liitle unsure what way to go. If a 60" would work well and not mess my tractor up I would rather get it I have quite a bit to till, Gardens, foodplots and some lawn work. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated, seems everyone I talk to around home is just guessing they all have larger tractors and have not used a 25hp tractor to till with.

Thanks

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have a 5' tiller that I use with my L3400, 35 hp.

I have used it on our BX2350, 24 hp I think. It did an ok job but i don't have clay.

Jim

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
My NH is about 13HP PTO and I used a 48" (I think). Before that I used it on a 17 HP Yanmar. And I have some clay here.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How wide is it to the outside of your back tires? It's best to be a little wider so you can cover your tracks.

Lime is cheap and loosens up clay.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Yanmar is the same hp (24/20).

Its Japanese twin (YM2000) is generally sold with a Yanmar 'RS1400' 1400mm tiller. (55 inches).

Seems to me that you could buy a 5 ft tiller, use it gently the first pass, then after the ground is loosened up it would work fine for many years.

You don't have to get all your depth in the first pass. For the very first groundbreaking run, it would probably be a good idea to cut only a few inches per pass.

Tractors are built to be run hard in commercial use. So long as you aren't struggling to maintain rpm, you can't hurt anything.

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a 60" for my TC29D and works great. My neighbor uses it on his John Deere 4110 which is about 18 hp at the PTO. He has no problems but I am sure has to run slower. We don't have any Clay around here.

murph

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
In their literature on implements, MF recommends their RT470 for a tractor the size of yours, which is 47 inches wide.

Ron Leard

I agree with bczoom, I would go a tad wider than your wheel base. Won't work your tractor to death. If it were sandy soil instead of clay, then bigger probally would be better. Keep your implement size in proportion with your tractor size. Much more unlikely to do damage.

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
As long as we are talking tillers, here is my mistake today. I have tilled over this area must be 40 times in the last ten years. I knew there was a pile of barb wire and fence posts on my neighbors property but did not realize the wire was buried yet under my property. Well now it is all on my property. Two hours later I had it all out.

Attachments

• tiller1.jpg
    tiller1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,029
  • tiller2.jpg
    tiller2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,138

urednecku

And what a fun 2 hours that was!!
(Yea, I've gotten our bush-hog into the old wire, too. Both bob-wire and woven. Really cuts down on your progress with the tractor!)