Limited Recall of Purina Horse And Poultry Feed

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I know some of you have horses. We're ok, we feed Triple Crown.

Jim
Limited Recall of Purina Horse And Poultry Feed

Submitted by WDEF News 12 and AP on April 16, 2010 - 4:09pm.

Purina Mills LLC is announcing a voluntary recall of some horse and poultry feed manufactured at its Nashville plant because metal fragments have been discovered in some of the bags.

The St. Louis, Mo.-based company said Friday it was recalling two lots of 50-pound bags of Strategy Professional Formula GX horse feed and one lot of Layena SunFresh Recipe Pellet poultry feed.

The company says in a news release that it received five customer complaints but no animal health issues were reported.

The products were distributed in Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Indiana, Missouri and Virginia.

The following products and lot numbers are involved in the recall: Strategy Professional Formula GX, Lot 0MAR24NST1A1; Strategy Professional Formula GX, Lot 0MAR24NST2A1; and Layena SunFresh Recipe Pellet, Lot 0MAR25NST2A1.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the information. We are OK on the horse food but will check out the laying pellets . Gotta take care of the fresh egg "factory". I let an old hen and little bantie rooster out to do the weeding around the large plants . Its amazing the job they do.. and oh how they sing as they "work". It reminds me of the growing up years. Bordercollie

Thanks for the heads up, we don't use Purina Mills products. They have had too many recalls. Three I think, in the last five years.

We always inspect the feed we use while pouring it into a large container with a locking lid so if our horses were to ever get into that part of the barn they couldn't have a feast.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We always inspect the feed we use while pouring it into a large container with a locking lid so if our horses were to ever get into that part of the barn they couldn't have a feast.

We have to use metal trash cqns with a bungee to hold the lid on. We tried plastic but the squirrels ate a hole through the plastic to get to the feed.

Jim

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I went to the local appliance graveyard and picked up a small chest freezer for free.Now that we have just one horse it will hold all we need and will keep it fresh. Added a padlock clasp to the outside - just in case. It seals so well that food can mold if kept too long.Maybe a hole or 2 wired over would be helpful but no problem as yet. Bordercollie