YM195

nenelo19

We just bought a YM195 and it needs a new starter. I ordered one off of ebay and the guy says it'll fit. My question is will a 11 tooth starter replace a 15 tooth starter?:eek: The old starter is a Hitachi S114-146.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I doubt it.

I thought these all needed the 15 tooth starter. 1.3kw standard or 1.8kw for exceptional service.

Maybe with 11 teeth it will crank faster??

Do you have a return guarantee?

It might be worthwhile to have a rebuilder look at the old one.

nenelo19

We do have a 2 week return window. I emailed the guy once the new starter arrived and he said the 11 tooth starter replaces the old 15 tooth, he told me to install it and that it would work better than the original, but I'm skeptical???? That's why I need someone else to confirm or say no way that's gonna fit!!! Thanks for replying California, I appreciate it.

lens12

I would get the right starter. Before I got connected to a wholesale electrical supplier, I got a will fit replacement starer for my YM330 from a local automotive electrical rebuilder because it was cheaper than rebuilding. He is real sharp on this stuff, but he just followed what the literature said would fit on my model. It was a gear reduction type & really spun the motor over good. After a couple years it started having a spot where it wouldn't engage. We pulled the starter & the flywheel teeth had burrs on them. We ground them off, but it didn't help. The starter finally quit working & I ordered one from my wholesale supplier. When we got it, we realized what the problem was. the wrong # of teeth on the drive. If there are fewer teeth & the same diameter, the teeth will be bigger. If the teeth are the same size, the diameter will be smaller & they won't mesh as well with the ring gear. I would guess your starter supplier isn't a real expert on what he is selling. Anybody can find a supplier & sell cheaply on the internet with not much knowledge about what they are selling. There are other people who know their product & they provide a free service with their knowledge.

nenelo19

Thanks for your info, we did send the 11 tooth starter back and got the new 15 tooth starter for our tractor. We are having the old starter rebuilt. Thanks for all the help!!!