JD 4310

grandcru

I'm interested in buying a friends JD 4310. 2004 model year with 150 hrs. I would intend to use it to plant and maintain no more than 14 acres. 11-12 in alfalfa and 2-3 in small grain food plots for quail.

I was thinking of using a PlotMaster or Firminator to disc, plant and compact. The property is completely flat and the soil is good. No hard pan no large rocks etc. Has been in alfalfa for some years.

Question is this. Does the 4310/ 32 HP have enough power to do that job? Pull a PlotMaster 6' wide version. Or the Firminator.

I am not an experienced farmer but I intend to try....

Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Don Stoulil
dstoulil@comcast.net

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Grandcru and welcome to Net Tractor Talk. :tiphat:

I run a 30hp Kubota and have pulled various implements up to 6 ft wide. I'd have to guess that the JD 4310 would handle the work with no problem, but it's a hair on the small side for the job. If you are getting a bargain basement price on this barely used JD it would be hard to turn down. If it's an average price I would shop around and see what you might find in a 38 to 40hp tractor and how much more it would cost you.

If possible arrange a day or so to try out the JD 4310 on your property with the attachment you want to pull with it. You'll get a good feel for what the tractor is capable of.

Good luck and please keep us posted as you work through the decision process.

grandcru

Hey Doc,
Thank you for the response. Price for the Tractor is $16,800. As I mentioned its a 2004 with approx 150 hrs. Belongs to an in-law not that the relationship would lower the price....I did very little shopping but what I saw indicated the price to be in the ball park. Again, not a steal.

I am more concerned about the ability to do the job. John Deere dealer that sells the Plotmaster says it should work. However, I was hoping to hear from folks that may have used a similar tractor and implement.

Your advice seems good.

Thank you for your response.
kind regards

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Slightly used tractors in good shape are hard to come by. And tractors do hold their value pretty well from what I've seen.
Hope he will let you try it and and then go from there.
Good luck and please keep us posted.