PDA

View Full Version : What brand of 20-23hp tractor to choose?

cboudreau
05-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, great site.

I'm just about to move into a new house. The house is in eastern canada, and is located on a 3 acre lot. The driveway is long (about 400' or so), gravel, and relatively steep. There will probably end up being over an acre of lawn to mow.

I've been thinking of buying a subcompact tractor to handle both the mowing and the snow clearing. I also have some landscaping to finish after I move in.

Right now, I've been considering something in the 20-23hp range, with a midmount mower and a loader...possible a back blade. I've been looking at John Deer, and Kubota primarily. I'm not sure about some of the other brands, and how they "stack-up" against these brands interms of power, quality, etc. Some of the other brands that I'm aware of include Cub Cadet, New Holland, Mahindra, and Massey Ferguson.

Does anyone have any advise on this that they can offer (possible at the risk of offending some other tractor owners!)?

Also, if you think I'm on the wrong track with size, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

shvl73
05-30-2010, 06:56 PM
What are the brands local to you? Would you purchase a brand without local support & maintain/wrench on it yourself?

Big Dog
05-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Well I'm probably going to get bombarded but a 400' driveway, steep grades, and moving snow calls for a larger frame and weighted tractor (the more ballast the better). Gonna be hard not to consider a Kioti CK20. The bad thing about a Kioti as I see it would be no mid-mount mower unless you can find a good used one with mower. They don't offer a mid-mount for their tractors anymore (use too) and you'd have to go with a rear finish mower. If your property is as described I think you should consider one or go to a larger HP in another brand to get into a larger tractor.

Kioti CK20S- 2200# - 22HP
JD2320 - 1700# - 24HP
Kubota B2320 - 1400# - 23HP
New Holland 1020 - 1500# - 20HP

cboudreau
05-30-2010, 07:09 PM
I think they are all sold locally, except Mahindra. Probably do a combination of dealer maintenance and my own....

cboudreau
05-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks Big Dog....I forgot to mention Kioti before. They are also sold locally. I was wondering how something like the JD2305 would do in the snow. The local dealer tells me it should be fine, but I'm not sure. Also, he tells me that turf tires are actually better than R4's in the snow....not sure if anyone has any experience with these?

Big Dog
05-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I didn't consider Mahindra .........

Big Dog
05-30-2010, 07:16 PM
I was wondering how something like the JD2305 would do in the snow. The local dealer tells me it should be fine, but I'm not sure. Also, he tells me that turf tires are actually better than R4's in the snow....not sure if anyone has any experience with these?

You do realize he's trying to sell you a tractor ....... :wink:

As far as tires, a tractor the size your talking about, I don't think it would make much difference!

cboudreau
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey Big Dog....yep, I realize he's trying to make a sale.....so I'll take what he says with a grain of salt. That being said, he isn't trying to upsell me to a larger tractor either....

Big Dog
05-30-2010, 07:56 PM
That being said, he isn't trying to upsell me to a larger tractor either....

Tractors are like garages, after you have it, you wish you'd gone bigger ...... :yum:

I learned that with my first tractor ............ Had a Kubota 9200 (24HP) and it served me well except for larger stuff I needed done. I remedied that when I bought my 45 .............. :thumb:

simplefun1
05-31-2010, 12:30 AM
just bought a kioti ck20s , it is great with the loader and blade it is about a thousand pounds heavier than a kubota, so the heavy snow may be a challenge for a lighter tractor , u can get a mid mounted mower for a kioti , it is a delslo i beleive it hwat the dealed told me , kioti does not make ther own , u pretty much have to take the mid mounted mowers off to do much smow or loader work anyway, the kubota is much better at mowing but the kioti loader will do much more , and the tractor is much heavier, i can lift a full bucket of dirt or gravel witn nothing on the rear , i do ave the tires loaded , my dealer did tell me the turf tires are better in the snow , but i got the r-4s, plan to use chains anyway i think , with a heavy tractor and chains u can move a lot more snow at one time up or down hill , , it all depends on your needs

shvl73
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Turfs may be a good idea if you plan on lawn mowing. I have heard they offer better traction in the snow. One thing to think about with steep grades in winter is chains. They will rest outside of the tread with the turfs, keeping ful contact. With R4's or ag's, they can slip in between lugs, depending on chain style. Weight is good for many things but not always lawn mowing. Turf tires will help spread that out though.
I'm not sure how pricing is locally to you but, you should save some $ getting a Kioti or Mahindra vs a major name, good tractors too.

Erik
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
R1's give the best traction, but can tear up your lawn, R4's have thicker rubber and are more durable. Turf tires "float" on snow instead of spinning, but they slip worse in wet grass - so it's a tossup.
I went with R4 on my tractor, despite the loss of traction and have had no problem tearing the lawn or slipping in snow.
Kioti & Mahindra both make very good mach9ines for significantly less than Kubota, Cub Cadet, JD, or NH.
The best thing you can do is go test drive each machine and see which one fits you best.
Also - in addition to the loader & back blade, get a box blade - the scarifer teeth are great for ripping sod or leveling a drive.

AJH32714
06-23-2010, 06:26 AM
I have 50 acres of woodland, lawn and pasture. My driveway is 600 feet long and on a grade of about 120-degrees, and we are in Northwestern Pennsylvania where our annual snowfall is usually about 130" or more. I own a Kubota BX24 with loaded turf tires, 60" midmower, front loader, backhoe, 48" box blade, 5' brush hog and 5' front blade. I have used my Kubota for mowing 2+ acres of lawn, cutting 5 acres of field grass, plowing (snow and dirt), maintaining my stone driveway, planting trees and shrubs, prepping flower beds, digging stumps and large stones, hauling mulch & firewood, and much more for over three years now and it has not left me down. I am not a dealer, I am a simple 58-year old homestead owner and considered subcompact and compact units from John Deere, Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra and Bobcat. I selected my Kubota BX24 because of its value for the dollar: it came with the backhoe and frontloader, 0% interest for 3 years, special "sale price" (deal with Kubota directly and you MAY get a break), excellent dealer support/service, and the well-known reliability of Kubota's diesel engines.
The only thing I didn't like at first on my Kubota was the plastic fenders and hood, but now that I have pushed it to the limits I am glad they are plastic - it doesn't dent (and rust) when stones fall on it from an overfilled front loader or when you back into a mailbox (damn thing musta run out behind me as I never saw it). Nuff said, I love John Deeres but the Kubota gave me the most bang for my buck (and it si manufactured in Georgia).

Joeyd
10-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm fairly new to all this tractor stuff but like you I have a long steep driveway to take care of and snow removal is my main concern. So far I have nothing but praise for my TYM brand tractor. It is heavier than JD and Kubota's for the same size, compact 35hp. I went with R-4's and had them loaded for more weight and I will use v-bar chains when the snow falls along with a snowblower. So far the FEL has been great for hauling firewood and dragging trees. I do not know how the TYM will do with mowing but it comes standard with a mid pto.

I have been impressed with the quality of the tractor and the dealer, so if you have a dealer in the area look at TYM also.

P.S. I also agree about going bigger if you can.