Blade won't stay on saw

jwstewar

Staff member
Last year I had a problem with my chain saw. Couldn't get it to start. Well, now I've got it starting easy and running great. So what happens? I start having another issue.:pat:

I was using my 16" Craftsman chainsaw a few weeks ago. Next thing I knew, it slung the chain. Put it back on. It did the same thing. So thinking the blade was stretch, I had 2 new ones with me, so I put one of them on. It did the same thing. So I'm thinking the bar was bad. I picked up a new Oregon bar and chain. Put it on last night. Made 2 cuts great. Third cut. The chain came off again. :WTF: So now I'm stumped. I've had the chains adjustered good each time, so I'm not sure were to go other than to the store and buy a new saw. I need to get some would cut up to take camping with us next weekend.

Jeep

it's the sprocket when mine keeps throwing the chain it' I change the sprocket it's good to go. Jeep

jwstewar

Staff member
Yesterday evening I went out and messed with the saw a little bit. I put the chain back on. Pulled it up farther on the sprocket closer to the clutch, and then when I tightened the bar down, I used a screw driver and tightened the chain down tighter than I normally would. I was able to get my wood cut for camping this weekend. I look into going ahead and changing the sprocket out later, but for now at least we have our camping wood.

Thanks for your help everyone.

nixon

Yesterday evening I went out and messed with the saw a little bit. I put the chain back on. Pulled it up farther on the sprocket closer to the clutch, and then when I tightened the bar down, I used a screw driver and tightened the chain down tighter than I normally would. I was able to get my wood cut for camping this weekend. I look into going ahead and changing the sprocket out later, but for now at least we have our camping wood.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Just out of curiosity ,is it fixed ? If so, what was the problem ?

jwstewar

Staff member
Since I tightened it down like I said in my last post, I've cut quite a bit of wood with it, and so far it has stayed. I think I had a couple of issues. I think the tensioner on the old bar had worn out and then I wasn't tightening the new one down tight enough. So far so good. For now, I will say it is "fixed.":hide: