I need help. PTO switch dumping all at once on brand new 5085M tractor.

Marshall

I got a new JD 5085M in September. The PTO is turned on by a pull type button that is the same button pull switch as all the new lawn mowers when turning on the blades.

I have problems with this and I need to know if there is an adjustment that can be done on this. When I pull the button for the PTO to start, it seems to dump all at once and really bogs the tractor down, or it completely chokes down the tractor if the RPM's are not reved up high enough.

Yesterday at idle speed, I turned on the tedder after attaching it and it sounded like a shotgun went off when it suddenly started as hard as it could. Sounded like it was ready to break the gear teeth off in the gear box of the tedder it started up so hard.

If I dont reve up the RPM's up to about 15 hundred when starting up the Kuhn 700 disc mower, it chokes the tractor off completely. When I have the RPM's up to 14 or 15 and start up the disc mower, it sends out a black cloud out the smoke stack as if you were throwing a jake break on a tractor trailer.

This cant be right. I have called the dealer that I bought the tractor from and they said a JD rep told them the answer was to reve up to 14 hundred RPM's and feather the PTO on. You cant feather a pull button, it is either off, or it is on.

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks,

Marshall

jd110

Marshall, don't let them tell you it is normal to enagage too aggressively. It is normal to have to rev engine to get engagement on some heavy implements with alot of rotating mass(i.e. large rotary cutter) but should not slam in hard. When the modulating valve is working properly, it will engage smoothly even at wide open throttle. Tell your dealer to reference solution 83134 and read all of it, even the hyperlinked portion. There were some machines that got too much loctite on the modulating valve and need to be replaced. Part number is SJ297368. The first 5065m we sold was like this and I couldn't believe how nice it worked when we replaced the valve with a good one. We had to order 3 to get a good one. This was several months ago. All the bad ones are supposed to be out of the system now.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good Job

jd110 , Now that was a nice , helpful post for all of us. It seems like owners should get a notice about such things from headquarters. Thanks, Bordercollie

LETHAL GTS

Clearly it is not modulating properly. I'm not familiar with that PTO system.
JD110 obviously has an inside line.
Good work JD110!
Now let's hear how your dealer deals with you telling what the problem is and how to fix it.
Good luck, hopefully your dealer doesn't stick his head in the sand!

Marshall

I took the printed page above to the dealer this morning and went to the maintenance supervisor, (who was a buddy in high school). We looked up the solution on the JD website that he can access and it showed exactly with photos how to determine the problem and how to repair the problem. I am taking the tractor in on Monday for the repair.

Marshall.

Marshall

How I made out.

Well, I got the tractor back today. I took it in a week and a half ago and they started the repairs. However, when they put the rear assembly back together, the interior parts of the PTO was not seated properly and when they hit the switch for the PTO, there was a very bad noise. The PTO clutch housing inside the tractor was damaged and a new series of parts had to be ordered. AFter those replacement parts came in, there was a brief struggle to get an oversized (beefy) snap ring back into this housing case, but it went in today and the tractor was re-assembled. It was driven to my house and hooked up to our older Kuhn GMD 700 HD.

When the PTO was engaged at idle, it came on slower and smoother. It didn't choke the tractor down like it has before. The tractor was reved up to a higher working rpm and the PTO was engaged and it came on at a slow speed and then sped up to the operating speed.

So far so good, but this was just the initial test after getting it back 2 hours ago. It will go to work soon and I will see how it does then.....

I hope this problem is now a thing of the past.

Marshall