New Rotary Cutter

MrChris

Finally was able to get a new addition to the family. With all the rain and hot weather the grass was growing out of control. Opted for a 5' BushHog Razorback. It seems to be taking care of business!:17875:

Attachments

• BushHog Razorback.JPG
    BushHog Razorback.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 98

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
There was an auction here about a year ago that had about ten of them in various different sizes. I could not stick around long enough for the auctioneer to get to where they were otherwise I might have brought one home. None of them had the PTO shafts for them though. Seemed to do the job for you though OK?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've heard good things about that mfgr/model. Congrats.

Welcome to the forum!!

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I have the 6' version. It works very well but it depends on what you are mowing. If you are backing into brush/vines very often or backing into trees you will find that the rounded back will get bent. If I had to do it over again, I would reinforce that rear end with more metal. As a mower, it works great though. I think you will be very happy with it. Congrats on the purchase.

fishrman

I have been thinking about trading in my 10 year old MD160 Woods and looked at those some. Can I ask how much you had to give? Everyone around here seems to want an arm and a leg for a new Woods. Told me they would trade for 1250.00/ two different dealers. Checked my gear oil today and it was as white as milk. Now, I am thinkin maybe I should have traded.

MrChris

I have been thinking about trading in my 10 year old MD160 Woods and looked at those some. Can I ask how much you had to give? Everyone around here seems to want an arm and a leg for a new Woods. Told me they would trade for 1250.00/ two different dealers. Checked my gear oil today and it was as white as milk. Now, I am thinkin maybe I should have traded.

I was quoted $1150 from 2 different tractor dealers. Ended up getting it for $850 at a local implement dealer. Shop around if you can!

fishrman

OK, I have done my shoppin and still haven't pulled the trigger on one. My old MD160 is exactly 10 years old. I got all the white gear oil out of it. Still can't figure out why it was white as I don't have any leaks in seals. Must have just been condensation over the years is all I know. Anyway, after putting new gear lube in, the gear case looks pretty good. I did find about 4 places on the outside rim of the upper gear that was starting to rust. I got all that scrapped off and shined up and it really looks good. Now, I am kind of thinkin maybe I don't need a new mower that bad but at the same time know that nothing last forever. I have found a 5 foot Bush Hog Squealer for 1,000.00 bucks but would have to travel about 8 hours to get it. Still cheaper than they are going around here for. About the cheapest around here is 1500.00 and that is without a slip clutch. I read on another site that the Squealer wasn't really made that tough and wasn't for ag. use. I don't know that that is true. What is your thoughts regarding the Squealer model? Would I be stepping down a notch going from the MD160 Woods to a Squealer? In looking at the specs. I see the squealer is 636 pounds with a 14,335 feet per minute blade speed and has a deck thickness of 11 gauge along with a 65 HP gearbox. Says it can cut up to 2 inch diameter. In looking in my MD160 manual it says it is 685 pounds with a blade speed of 11,476 feet per minute and 10 ga. Cutter frame thickness along with saying it has a horsepower rating of 20-60. Manual doesn't say what it will cut but I am sure I have cut 2 inch stuff with it before.
Seems the newer cutters have faster blade speeds and I think this might make for a better cut. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

MrChris

Your Woods, shear mass wise, appears to be somewhere inbetween the Squealer series and the 280 series from BushHog. If you step up to the Bushhog 285 you get the 10 guage deck but you also get a 110Hp rated gearbox which is a bit of a step up from your Woods. If your not going to be consistently cutting saplings larger than 2", I would guess the Squealer would do you fine.