3020D

jd110

The 3020 was an incredibly good reliable tractor. No major problems with them. Is it a powershift or synchro-range? 1968 was the last year of the "old style". It originally was equipped with a 24 volt starting and charging system that can be pricey to repair when starter and generator have problems. A lot of them have been converted to 12 volt systems like the "new style" has. The 24 volt system was a good system but finding someone familiar with them to repair it is key to making it work right. Other than that, the powershift is more desirable than the synchro, since the powershift is nearly indestructible in the lower horsepower models such as the 3020 and 4020, not to mention no clutching needed for shifting. For either transmission make sure you have all gears forward and reverse and load the transmission by applying the brakes while driving in all gears to test for slipping. Check all of your hydraulics functions to be sure everything works before you buy. Check the breather tube on the engine for excess blow by. Pull the dipsticks on engine and transmission to check condition of oil. If either oil is milky in appearance, beware of water contamination, that could be major problems. Look at coolant in radiator for contamination. Basically just check everything over like you should when buying anything used.

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
jd offers really good advice. To me, the 3020 and 4020 are special models, sort of like a 57 Chevy or a 65 Mustang. It's like they're classics.

The only thing I would add just so you're not surprised, they use a good bit of fuel. Unless you will be using it sun up 'til sun down don't let this dissuade you from buying one as long as it is in good condition.

My $0.02,

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good advice guys!!!!!!
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk Doc. Now there are at least two of us here. :D
Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D