Kubota RTV900 or Bobcat 3400D

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
Both are roughly $12,000.

Both are Kubota powered.

Bobcat has an aluminum frame, made by Club Car, with Kubota 24.8hp diesel engine with a top speed of 30mph. RTV900 has a reputation for extreme reliability and is built entirely by Kubota and has a 21.6hp diesel and a top speed of 25mph.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the transmission types :confused2: of these machines and what the real world advantages and disadvantages are between them. Kubota uses a VHT transmission? Near as I can tell, the Bobcat uses a CVT transmission with belts, but I'm not positive of that.

Bobcat 3400 webpage => http://www.bobcat.com/utility_machines/utility_vehicles/models/3400

Kubota RTV900 webpage => http://www.kubota.com/product/RTV900/RTV900.aspx

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm no tranny expert so I couldn't give any specifics or real-world differences.

Looking at the specs, it appears the RTV is a bit bigger, heavier and has higher capacities.

The Bobcat appears to be in more of a direct competition with something like the Gator or if it existed, a workhorse version of the Ranger.

I think most here will agree that the RTV is a work machine. Not for playing and it's "play factor" is really low. It'll haul whatever you can carry and just chug along.

There are a few things that have been a pain for the RTV owners but most appear to have been resolved in the newer models (shifting problems, driveshaft rattle...).

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
And get to know the dealers.

Which dealership do you prefer?

He will be the one you talk to after the purchase.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
CVT - continuously variable transmission

These are driven through a very strong belt just like a snowmobile.
Not good in wet situations, depending how water tight the cases are.
Works good in snowmobile use and is used a lot in the utv market.

HST - hydrostatic transmission

Fluid driven through pumps and stuff.
Very tough and not affected by water unless it gets into the transmission.
On RTV the filler cap has a breather incorporated into it which needs to be vented if used in deep water conditions.

I've had two RTV's (900-1100), love them both. Cab on 1100 is the best, because I like to plow in the winter. It sips fuel. Very easy on the wallet that way.

What they are going to be used for is important too.

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
I like both dealerships. I do business with both dealerships. The Kubota dealer is closer but a bit less flexible, still is very good.

Wet conditions are not a problem or issue for me. The unit will be used for driving around for fun and for hauling landscaping and gardening plants, rock, mulch, bags of salt, fertilizer, etc. Neither will be used for heavy trail riding, etc, but rather for driving around with my wife and her dog down the country lanes in our area.

My little Yamaha unit is great for fun driving, is totally reliable, but has very limited capacity (400 pounds of payload). Not sure if we are going to upgrade, but if we do I want to go to a diesel unit because I have a diesel tank on the property.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If Polaris had a diesel Ranger, that sounds like what you need. Something with a little more "play" factor.

Since it's going to be you and the lovely Mrs. Bob, I'd suggest you pay close attention to noise in the cabin so you can talk to each other. The diesels are somewhat loud but seem to maintain the same amount of dB's across the RPM range. Some of the gasser's are relatively quiet at idle but you can forget talking to each other after you get the RPM's up.

Will the dealers bring a demo unit out for you to play with for a couple hours?

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
Will the dealers bring a demo unit out for you to play with for a couple hours?

The Bobcat dealer is eager to bring one over to the house. I did not ask the Kubota dealer since he is so close and we can simply drive it around his property.

I didn't think about the noise factor!!!

Our Yamaha is very quiet, its a gasser. I think I may swing by the Kubota dealer and listen to the RTV900 . . . the lovely MRS_B will not tolerate a loud machine. She really really likes her little Yamaha because it is very easy to operate, turn the key and push the pedal.

I think the Bobcat may be more to her liking because it will run 30mph versus the Kubota's 25mph. BUT if its loud then she will stomp her little foot and put an end to my folly.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On the Kubota, the engine doesn't really get louder, it just changes pitch as the RPM's go up.
Unless I'm on a relatively smooth surface, I don't like to go that fast. The suspension is a bit too stiff and tosses you around.
Oh, something else I thought of. The RTV has historically had some very significant engine braking. If the driver lets off the gas pedal, the passengers may go flying through the windshield if they're not prepared. I understand the newer ones may have less but just want to mention that. It is adjustable. I like it to be abrupt. I can feather off the pedal for a gradual stop but it's really nice knowing that your machine isn't going anywhere once you let off the pedal. I've stopped on steep hills and the RTV just sits there with no braking or otherwise required.

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
That actually sounds like a nice feature on the RTV with the engine braking.

As for driving fast, that is only on paved surfaces. Even on the lawn our little Yamaha can bounce you out of the seat.

BTW, if we get either of these there will be no windshield or cab. I like the wind blowing through my hair . . . makes me feel like I own a convertible!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BTW, if we get either of these there will be no windshield or cab. I like the wind blowing through my hair . . . makes me feel like I own a convertible!

A convertible in the winter??? Brrrr. You'll appreciate one come January. When I want wind in my face, I just stick my head out the side like the dog does...

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
We don't use it much in the winter. Its mostly for fun and for 3 season gardening and landscaping chores. FWIW we don't ride the scooters in the winter either!!!

For winter we have the Snow Trac.

BTW, one of the two big selling points to me for the Bobcat is that it uses a 1 piece molded ABS plastic cargo box. We have that on the little Yamaha we own and its a really nice feature, takes a beating and still looks good, stuff slides out of it, and it can't rust. The other big selling point is the added 5mph speed. The little dog likes to go fast!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BTW, one of the two big selling points to me for the Bobcat is that it uses a 1 piece molded ABS plastic cargo box. We have that on the little Yamaha we own and its a really nice feature, takes a beating and still looks good, stuff slides out of it, and it can't rust. The other big selling point is the added 5mph speed. The little dog likes to go fast!!!
Agreed on the ABS plastic box. When I got my RTV (when they first came out in '04) there were no forums or info about the integrity of the metal box. I took mine off and made my own (which has worked flawlessly for the past 6 years). Other members will chime in about their boxes but in general, they've held up well with the exception of bent tailgates, mainly from hitting the draw bar when you tilt the bed.

I'm surprised that crap-weasel can keep up when you have her on a rope in tow. How long can it maintain running 30 MPH before you're in a dragging situation? :) :hide:

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
I'm surprised that crap-weasel can keep up when you have her on a rope in tow. How long can it maintain running 30 MPH before you're in a dragging situation? :) :hide:

Good thing the lovely Mrs_B doesn't read these forums.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You're the one that named the dog and provided some history, not me.

I'd obviously prefer the Akita...

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry I picked on your dog Bob... :(

Anyway, back to RTV or Bobcat, how are you leaning? IMHO, a loaner will determine the winner.

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry I picked on your dog Bob... :(

Anyway, back to RTV or Bobcat, how are you leaning? IMHO, a loaner will determine the winner.

That is not my dog, my dog is a nice big furry dog.

As for the two brands??? I dunno. I really like both dealers. I've got a long term relationship with the Kubota dealer, and while small, they are very good. The Bobcat dealer is huge, several branches, but the salesrep is a good old boy and works out of the branch that specializes in compact tractors and less so with the industrial equipment. They seem to offer great service, are willing to bend over to offer assistance and make a sale.

As for the two machines, honestly could probably flip a coin based on my investigations of them, but have not driven either of them yet. I've been all over the RTV models at my local dealer but have not driven one. As my requirements are pretty mild and our usage leans toward light duty/medium duty both of these machines offer more capacity than I need for 95% of our tasks. Realize my Yamaha is a glorified golf cart with similar cargo capacity and that really does much of what we want.

I'd probably be just as happy with a New Holland Rustler too, but the dealer doesn't have one in stock to check out so I passed on that one simply because I can't see it, touch it or roll around naked in the cargo box. I've been 'selling' my wife on the concept of upgrading and so far she is pretty cool with the idea.

Really the biggest concern I have (other than the noise . . . which I had not previously considered) is the ease of operation. My wife LOVES the little Yamaha simply because its simple. The more levers, knobs or controls any of these heavier duty models have the harder it will be to get her to accept it. Obviously anything with 4wd is going to be more complicated, I think she can get beyond that pretty easily. Also anything with HI-LO range is going to get a bit more complicated. That actually worries me more as right now she just stomps on the accelerator pedal and runs up our hills, but if she has to change ranges to simply climb a hill that will cause me some grief for a long time to come.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
99% of my driving is either in M or R (medium or reverse) so Mrs_B should be OK with that. 4WD is an easy flick of a lever. Diff lock is like the tractor. Just step on it.

Since you could flip a coin, maybe it should be Mrs_B's decision. That could be a long-term story in itself depending on how it goes.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I 'll voice my opinion on this dilemma. I think the RTV hydro dump is a must for much landscaping activity. My machine uses no oil and I have almost 3465 hrs on mine and still love it. Wasn't it Dogman a few weeks ago talking about the RTV 2011's improvements covering many issues both large and small?? I must say that back when I had a "Hehaw" , the belt drive would slip when I was in serious situations. I couldn't tolerate an aluminum frame with all the tough fields I drive thru on a daily basis. Steel Has been good for my abuse. They are indeed made for work and has always gotten me where I had to be- whether hauling a sick calf with the Mama cow trying to take a place "on" the cab, or rescuing one in distress.- Or even spraying pasture-This RTV is one real lifesaver . Bordercollie

Melensdad

Gold Site Supporter
I 'll voice my opinion on this dilemma. I think the RTV hydro dump is a must for much landscaping activity. My machine uses no oil and I have almost 3465 hrs on mine and still love it. Wasn't it Dogman a few weeks ago talking about the RTV 2011's improvements covering many issues both large and small?? I must say that back when I had a "Hehaw" , the belt drive would slip when I was in serious situations. I couldn't tolerate an aluminum frame with all the tough fields I drive thru on a daily basis. Steel Has been good for my abuse. They are indeed made for work and has always gotten me where I had to be- whether hauling a sick calf with the Mama cow trying to take a place "on" the cab, or rescuing one in distress.- Or even spraying pasture-This RTV is one real lifesaver . Bordercollie

Good points all.

I'm not sure what type of power dump is on the Bobcat, I know its powered.

Having 3400+ hours on your RTV is a reassuring bit of information! Its hard to argue against that level of use.

As we are closing in on the start of winter, it may just be prudent to push this decision off until springtime and wait to see if there are new developments that come for Kubota or Bobcat.