Riding mower?

ghautz

The wife has hinted she would mow the grass around the house (we don't have a lawn, just the same blend of grama grass, wild alfalfa, and other select weeds that inhabit the remainder of our property, a former horse/cow pasture). The only mower we have is my Yanmar with a rotary cutter, which is more than she wants to handle. And, I would rather not use it too close to the house, anyway. I was thinking that a small riding mower would be handy. With a trailer it would be useful for other tasks, too.

I found the post here with a link to reviews, which was useful. However, the reviews and information posted relative to the various brands was what the the manufacturers put out. What do any of you know about reliability (most important characteristic to me) and function of the various brands. I would prefer to find a used one in new condition for a couple hundred dollars. However, in the real world... I don't need a new project, so something that does not require significant repair is in order. I see JD has a well-rated unit for about $1500 new. There was one 2 or 3 years old for sale in a nearby city for about a kilobuck, which is probably near the top of my budget.

I am a stickshift guy when it comes to cars, trucks and tractors. I gather the transmissions on the JDs are something different. How reliable are they over time?

Anyone have suggestions?

billbill1

Older Cub Cadets were very tough mowers, as are Wheel Horse, and some John Deeres. They were made much tougher in the 60's and 70's than the throw-away machines you see everywhere today. Something with an actual transmission and shaft drive are the best IMHO. Engine replacement is simple if needed and not too terribly expensive. My old Wheel Horse is belt driven but still a very good machine and there are still implements available with some research. Decks, snow blowers, Brinley plows, cultivators, and I would assume tillers. That's the direction I would go if I was looking. Dad had a 1959 Cub Cadet with a 7 hp Kohler that was bullet proof, my BIL still has it in fact. Had the engine rebuilt in 1999 and I couldn't guess how many hours on it. The JD he had was an 8 hp and a good machine as well but not nearly a tough as the Cub.

Mark777

Ghautz,

I’m with billbill1 on his recommendation of the earlier (60’s-70’s) Garden style tractors. The newer middle of the line LT’s that are offered truly have planned obsolescence in their design.

Even with meticulous care, mowers like MTD, New, from box stores just don’t last more than three seasons without expensive problems occurring at the end of their 3rd season. Deck bearings and spindles (even when I added Zerk’s) fail, engines and transmission begin to have serious and costly issues and the $1500 price range typically means a disposable mower around the third year of ownership.

I never understood, until recently, the fascination with the older garden tractors….always thought by the time you pick one up for anywhere between $100-$500, fix or replace parts and even include a Re-power with a new or rebuilt engine, I’d be labor and money ahead just going out and buying new. And then….I bought a SS12 (1968 Sears) garden tractor. Now, I understand. The frame is 3/16” steel, front axle cast steel, front wheels have bearings instead of bushings, everything is welded/gusseted and reinforced….everything about these earlier tractors scream simplicity and built to last.

Instead of going out and buying a new rider once every 3-4 years, like I’ve done for the last 15 years, I’m convinced that this machine, with the minimum of maintenance and a budget of $1K to inspect and renew any worn parts that it will last me a life time.

I won’t ague that fact that many spend $3K + for new machines and, the more they spend, the more reliable they are. They are comfortable, very powerful and most available with many attachments….but will they be here after 50 years?

Mark

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Last year, I bought a 1994 JD LX176 (14 hp, 38 inch) for my daughter to use on her half acre. The unit was in very good shape, except for the drive belt and a guard/link from brake to idler pulley. I paid $650, and by the time I could get it, the dealer already had three other buyers in line for it. I did put a mulching kit on it, replaced the belt and guard (fun wrenching time on that!), and it has been bullet proof since. I had been considering a LA100 at Lowes, but am very happy I got the LX instead.

Good luck with your search

Fred

Erik

mid 90's Craftsman lawn tractors are pretty stout machines as well - and are generally pretty easy to work on as well. (neighbor has one she's been beating to death for 13 years and the motor is still rock solid while the deck is showing some fatigue. I'm hoping to relieve her of it at the end of this mowing season so she can buy a shiny new one...)

The wife has hinted she would mow the grass around the house (we don't have a lawn, just the same blend of grama grass, wild alfalfa, and other select weeds that inhabit the remainder of our property, a former horse/cow pasture). The only mower we have is my Yanmar with a rotary cutter, which is more than she wants to handle. And, I would rather not use it too close to the house, anyway. I was thinking that a small riding mower would be handy. With a trailer it would be useful for other tasks, too.

I found the post here with a link to reviews, which was useful. However, the reviews and information posted relative to the various brands was what the the manufacturers put out. What do any of you know about reliability (most important characteristic to me) and function of the various brands. I would prefer to find a used one in new condition for a couple hundred dollars. However, in the real world... I don't need a new project, so something that does not require significant repair is in order. I see JD has a well-rated unit for about $1500 new. There was one 2 or 3 years old for sale in a nearby city for about a kilobuck, which is probably near the top of my budget.

I am a stickshift guy when it comes to cars, trucks and tractors. I gather the transmissions on the JDs are something different. How reliable are they over time?

Anyone have suggestions?

http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/index.html

You can add lawnmowers, brushmowers, sicklebar mowers, tillers, logsplitters, and even a ride-behind sulky or ride-behind WAGON...:D

billbill1

Paul, I like the BCS lineup but found it to be very "spendy" by the time you purchase everything you need. They are tough little machines though.