PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Bocat 440 unless....

KIRMIL
10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I live in Ohio and just bought about 35 acres of woods/field to mow. Long drive to plow in Ohio and lots of rocks and logs to move and landscaping.

I test drove a Bobcat CT 440 and the dealer is about 2 miles away. Going to buy one with bucket and loader and probably a brush hog and snowblower unless somebody can recommend something better. My criteria;

1. Easy to use and hook up attachments for me and my kids (I'm not mechanically inclined) One big plus of the dealer 2 miles away
2. Loader strength.
3. Value. Not as critical, I don't mind spending $5k more if the machine is better.

TIA

Doc
10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I do not have another tractor to recommend, but will recommend that you sit in a few more seats and talk to the dealers at some other places. That might reinforce that the Bobcat is the best value, or you might learn of something else that will sway you to a different tractor. Shopping like this can be fun and informative.
Note: Never mind this advice if you have already shopped around and this is your pick.

bczoom
10-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming you're talking about a rear-mount snowblower. If so, you'll probably want a secondary means of snow removal (ie. a rear blade). When driving in reverse, your body is always twisted to see behind you. That's a real pain in the neck (literally, as well as your shoulder and back) to do for extended periods. Even more so when you're trying to do it with your winter clothes on.

An angled blade will take care of many of your common snowfalls and you can do it driving forward with an occasional glance to the rear.

If you choose a blade, make sure when angled, it's still wider than your rear tires.

Also, for the most part, you want to be driving pretty fast as you want the snow to fly off the end of the blade as opposed to going slow and having it fall off. That will help too keep large banks from building on the sides. When you do get a large buildup, that's when you take the blower and make it gone.

Melensdad
10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
. . .I test drove a Bobcat CT 440 and the dealer is about 2 miles away. Going to buy one with bucket and loader and probably a brush hog and snowblower unless somebody can recommend something better. My criteria;

1. Easy to use and hook up attachments for me and my kids (I'm not mechanically inclined) One big plus of the dealer 2 miles away
2. Loader strength.
3. Value. Not as critical, I don't mind spending $5k more if the machine is better.

I just bought a Bobcat CT 235 (34hp) compact tractor at the end of summer. Honestly it was just a great value because they were offering free Front Loaders and a rebate at the time I purchased mine.

I believe the New Holland tractors are better machines. Their engines sound smoother. The controls on the New Holland machines are in the perfect locations for ease of use. But the New Holland simply cost a lot more because of the incentives from Bobcat. Had New Holland been within $2500~$3000 of the Bobcat I would have purchased the New Holland. Bear in mind that I bought a smaller tractor than you are considering so price spread of $5000 you are considering was too much for me to bear.

Now as for the Bobcat tractors, I honestly think they are a good value, but they are not perfect. The engines on them seem to clatter more than the New Holland, Kubota, Yanmar and Deere engines. Older design diesel engines tend to do that, there is nothing really wrong with it, its just sort of annoying if you have had a New Holland, Kubota, etc. (I've had both New Holland & Kubota). The layout and the placement of the controls on the Bobcat is also "not quite" right. It strikes me that older generation tractors are ergonomically not laid out as well as the newer generation tractors and the Bobcat, while its a new tractor brand, is a slightly modified re-branded tractor that has been on the market for several years; the design/layout of the controls could be slightly improved. That said, I'm happy with my choice of the Bobcat.

KIRMIL
10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I just bought a Bobcat CT 235 (34hp) compact tractor at the end of summer. Honestly it was just a great value because they were offering free Front Loaders and a rebate at the time I purchased mine.

I believe the New Holland tractors are better machines. Their engines sound smoother. The controls on the New Holland machines are in the perfect locations for ease of use. But the New Holland simply cost a lot more because of the incentives from Bobcat. Had New Holland been within $2500~$3000 of the Bobcat I would have purchased the New Holland. Bear in mind that I bought a smaller tractor than you are considering so price spread of $5000 you are considering was too much for me to bear.

Now as for the Bobcat tractors, I honestly think they are a good value, but they are not perfect. The engines on them seem to clatter more than the New Holland, Kubota, Yanmar and Deere engines. Older design diesel engines tend to do that, there is nothing really wrong with it, its just sort of annoying if you have had a New Holland, Kubota, etc. (I've had both New Holland & Kubota). The layout and the placement of the controls on the Bobcat is also "not quite" right. It strikes me that older generation tractors are ergonomically not laid out as well as the newer generation tractors and the Bobcat, while its a new tractor brand, is a slightly modified re-branded tractor that has been on the market for several years; the design/layout of the controls could be slightly improved. That said, I'm happy with my choice of the Bobcat.

That is what I'm looking for. Any idea which loader is the strongest? Main advantage Bobcat has for me is they are 2 miles away and offer great service to rent attachments and fix the machine.

Melensdad
10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I know when I did the comparison between the Bobcat CT235 and the NH2030/2035 that the NH spec'd out slightly better in most areas. These comparisons are for roughly 35 horsepower machines, you are considering a larger frame size so you will have to make your own comparison but this is what I found. BTW, I've found that breakout force is probably more important that total lift capacity. I think its also interesting that the New Holland is smaller than the Bobcat but offers more capacity.

When making comparisons please BE SURE TO COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES. You can NOT compare lift capacity at the ball eyes with lift capacity at 24" behind the ball eyes. You must equalize them by comparing the capacity at the same points. This applies to 3pt and to loader capacity.

3pt Lift Capacity at 24" behind the ball eyes:

Bobcat ct235 = 1508#
New Holland 2030 = 1635#

Weight of tractor:

Bobcat ct235 = 3056#
New Holland 2030 = 2605#

FEL capacity: BREAKOUT FORCE @ pivot pins

Bobcat ct235 = est. 2500#
New Holland 2030 = 2700#

FEL capacity: Capacity at full height @ 500mm forward of pins.

Bobcat ct235 = 1225#
New Holland 2030 = 1183#

PTO Horsepower:

Bobcat ct235 = 26.5
New Holland 2030 = 24.5 (28.9 for the 2035)