Mowing Equipment

Av8r3400

I'm soliciting opinions here, please.

I'm debating what type of finish mowing machine I need to get. I will be mowing 2-4 acres or so, fairly flat. There will be some trees to mow around (when I plant them).

I would like to have a piece of equipment that is diesel powered, so that I only need to keep one fuel. I've never driven a zero-turn, but have operated a skid steer. I think I'd like to keep to a 60" deck maximum. I have been watching for an older Toro Grounds Master type machine, but would like other opinions.

I'd like to buy used to keep costs low. Please be descriptive as you can.

Thanks.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tough one for sure.
I fully understand keeping costs low, and tried to do the same thing a few years ago when I bought my Scag ZTR.

I wanted a diesel model and Kubota made one but it was in the 10k price range. I ended up going for the mid model Scag and it was discounted a little so that I got it for 7500. It runs on gas with a 27hp Vtwin Kohler power plant. Awesome machine but I'm still not sure if that fits into your price range.

After ZTR shopping and wanting one that would last I zero'd in on Scag and Exmark for a quality ZTR that will last. Exmark is rated above Scag; but I have no Exmark dealers in my area. As it turns out my SIL's granddad got an Exmark at about the same time I got my Scag. My SIL has driven both of them and prefers the Scag. I truly believe you could not go wrong with either make. They are a bit pricey, and they are gas but they are a lot cheaper than diesel models and will last. Both of these makes are considered commercial units and are priced above the homeowner offerings.

So now I have to keep both types of fuel, diesel and gas. No biggie since I also have ATV's that I haul gas for anyway.

I strongly recommend a ZTR. I mow 4+ acres and the ZTR makes the job very manageable. Mine has a 61" mower deck.

PBinWA

If you're not in a rush then I would surf Craigslist for a while. I often see some great mowers on there. Of course, when I wanted to buy my ZTR there was nothing showing up until the day I bought it (when almost the exact model showed up).

You may want to check out www.crazedlist.org (use Firefox and follow the instructions) to search outside of your local area.

Av8r3400

I was so cranked off: Last winter I missed a 72" Toro Diesel Groundsmaster on E-Scam that went for $1300! It was donated to a church in Green Bay and they wanted something smaller.

I'm not in a hurry, but something like that one won't get missed again.

Mith

Alot of the used zero turns and outfronts seem to have alot of hours on them and still command a high price.
Would a sub-cut with a MMM not work for you? Just arrange the trees so they are convenient to mow round. I would have thought you could get one with low hours for alot less than a zero turn.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thoughts or comments on this?

A little pricey for what I'm looking for, but this is the type of rig I mean.

That looks like a real mowing machine. I bet it would handle your mowing chores with ease. I've seen them used on golf courses and such. The front deck is the best of all options for mowing, just ask Dargo. This one reminds me of Dargo's grasshopper mowers that run 13k and up. And with the Kubota diesel you know the motor is barely broken in. I doubt you could find a better mower for the money.

Erik

around here you can find used grasshoppers in the $5k range pretty easy.and yes, they really are as good as their reputation.Dixon & Gravely can be found new in the same price range as well, both are gas powered and good machines, but not in the same class.

PBinWA

You should check out lawnsite.com for researching mowers.

Grasshoppers are very good. Dargo, often spoke highly of them.

Are you looking on Craigslist? eBay always seems too expensive to me.

Mith

Yup, what Paul said. Dont believe the hour meters either, look for signs of hard use if you are looking at something that has been used commercially or profesionally.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Both Paul and Mith's posts reminded me of something I've noticed over the years. I normally buy used of anything. Cars, Trucks, Tractors, mowers etc. I've had plenty of each, but the one item I've never been pleased with is used mowers. Mowing is hard on a machine. Once they get some hours on em you never know what you'll end up having ot fix. So if at all possible I'd go new on a mower. Or at least buy one you can try out and see up close before spending your cash.

Check the frame...

107066d1217043524-arg-what-happened-here-100_1421.jpg

billbill1

Lots of Grasshoppers in NE Kansas, good machines, spendy but good. The biggest draw back to them (IMHO) is they are mowers and nothing else. A friend had a snow blade for his but it was useless in the snow. The dealer he bought his from let him trade for a new one every year for a small fee, he liked keeping the used machines on his lot for sale. Eric, it's the Henry Bros. just north of Holton if you've ever driven up 75 north. About a mile or 1-1/2 north on the east side.

Erik

Lots of Grasshoppers in NE Kansas, good machines, spendy but good. The biggest draw back to them (IMHO) is they are mowers and nothing else. A friend had a snow blade for his but it was useless in the snow. The dealer he bought his from let him trade for a new one every year for a small fee, he liked keeping the used machines on his lot for sale. Eric, it's the Henry Bros. just north of Holton if you've ever driven up 75 north. About a mile or 1-1/2 north on the east side.

I stopped there when I was tractor shopping. Spoke with Mike Henry (son of owner) who is also a part owner in Thunder Hill Speedway about 3 miles from me. I did not buy anything from them, nor am I ever likely to based on my shopping experiences both times I stopped in.

haffasst

AV8R, I mow 3 acres weekly with a MF 1020 and a 60" Bush Hog Brand finish mower. I have about 20 trees and a pond to contend with. I mow all the open area's with this setup. Then I trim around the trees with a Husqvarna 24GT48. btw If your thinking about a pond, you can back a 3 pt finish mower down the bank where you can't get a 0 turn. The o turn is a little faster though.