Hydraulic repair help!

DaveNay

I need some quick help! One of the rigid steel hydraulic lines on my tractor has sprung a leak in the middle of it's run. Apparently, it has been rubbing on a frame member and finally wore a hole through the wall. What can I do for a quick fix??? I tried JB weld, but no matter how good I tried to clean it, the hydraulic fluid leaked out and the JB slid right off onto the ground. The line is for the oil cooler, so it is probably low pressure (i.e., it's not a front loader line). Can I put a square of sheet metal around it, and clamp the crap out of it with hose clamps? Obviously no dealer is open so I can't get a replacement line (besides, I bet they charge an arm and a leg!)

I'd like to get back on the tractor in a couple hours because I have a lot of mowing to do today.

Mith

Replace it with a rubber hose?

If the hose is on the return to tank side (not pressure or suction) then you should be OK to do whatever to just stop it leaking (put something over it and clamp it, a bit of old rubber or something).

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Dave, I thought of the piece or rubber and then a hose clamp over that, along with Jim. But now that I remember, when my cooler hose sprung a leak, it shot out of there pretty good. It may not be low pressure.

DaveNay

OK...I have a handful of hose clamps, some silicone gasket material and some sheet metal. I'm going to put the gasket material on first with the sheet metal and then hold it in place with clamps.

Mith

I'd expect it will be a return line, so it will still have some pressure. A few PSI. If you rupture a high pressure line you will know it, and I would advise not using the tractor until its properly fixed.

Dave, sounds like a plan. Just double check its a return line though.

Archdean

It already has a hole in it right?
Cut it in half and slide/join it with a 4" section of HYD hose and clamp it !!