John Deere Thumb for FEL 400CX Worth $1000?

lbohen

My 4720 cab tractor with 400CX FEL, 485 backhoe and 673 tiller will be delivered around Thanksgiving. I want a thumb on the BH however the $1000 the dealer wants (installed) seems high compared to after-market brands like Bro-Tek.

Is the JD thumb really worth $1000?

Thumb recommendations?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hear great things about the thumb but don't have one and have never used one.

How much could you save on the aftermarket thumb? If you would only save a few hundred I think I'd go with the dealer one. Having it all installed and ready to go would be worth that to me. Depending on the size of the thumb you would also have to be sure the cheaper one was as tough and would not need additional parts to make it work. Is it something you can install yourself?

I'm not sure of the answers to these but hoping the questions will help you to make the right decision. Your tractor outfit sounds like a dream. :thumb: :tiphat: Congrats!!!!!!

lbohen

OOPS! Pardon my goof.

The title should read "John Deer Mechanical Thumb for 485 Backhoe Worth $1000 Installed? Pardon my goof.

The dealer says retail is $895 plus $150 for installation = $1045.

If I go for an after-market / non-JD thumb, will my warranty be at risk?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would speculate that the warranty would only be affected if the other thumb was not installed correctly and somehow caused damage to the hoe. I wonder if the dealer would install the after market thumb for you if you brought it to his shop?

SARG

Just for reference...... I paid $400 for a wood's mechanical thumb on a Wood's BH6000 ..... dealer installed last year.