4310 Frt axle adjustment bolt

I was servicing my 4310 Compact today and noticed a loose bolt in the support bracket in front of the front axle. This is a 5/16" bolt w/locking nut, threaded into the center of the front support. I checked the JD Parts diagrams and it is not pictured. My best guess is it applies preload to the front of the diff housing. Although I have not clue why. And there is my question, what is it for and what is the proper adjustment procedure.

Any help will be appreciated.

jd110

The bolt is for adjusting "free play" in the axle pivot. As the axle pivot wears from the thrust of the front wheels pulling when in 4wd, you can adjust the bolt in to remove excess play. If you jack up the front of tractor so axle hangs free, adjust the bolt in as far as it goes and then back it off on flat of the bolt, then tighten the jam nut. That allows enough play so grease can still get into the thrust area.

Thanks jd110. I thought I was done w/the service until I decided to repaint the front grille, which lead to claening the battery terminals, which lead to pulling the battery to cleaning the battery tray, neturalizing the damage caused by battery acid venting, preping and painting the tray etc. etc. etc. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

The joys of living the dream of a gentlemen horse farmer in Northern NJ (originally from Davidsonville, MD).