Broken wheel wedge on jd 4320 tractor

fix it myself

In the process of getting ready to remove the load and depth shaft from my jd 4320 tractor, I needed to move one of wheels out to allow the removal of the shaft. I removed the three locking bolts on the wedge that locks the wheel to the axle. Then I began to apply equal pressure on the removal bolts when I heard the noise I was hoping not to hear. After checking the back of the wheel housing, there was the outer half of the wedge that was broken. I have tried punches from the front to no avail. If anyone has a better idea or way to remove the piece of wedge that is left I am all EARS. THANKS

jd110

OUCH! I hate it when that happens! Those wedges are a real bear to get loose when they haven't been moved in a long time. What I have found to be effective BEFORE the wedge breaks is to apply strong even pressure on the push bolts and then using a 8 - 12 pound sledge, smack the end of the axle 3 or four times and then tighten the push bolts again. Repeat that procedure several times and they usually come loose. After the wedge breaks, it can be near impossible to get loose. I would try loosening the three bolts on the inner wedge also and then try the sledge on the end of the axle a few times along with a punch from the front. Sometimes if you put it back down on the ground and jerk the clutch out pretty aggressively forward and reverse several times, they might come loose also, but I have had some customers put it to work plowing with all bolts loose and they still won't come loose. If all else fails you may need to burn them out with a cutting torch. A nasty job, but it can be done. Good Luck!

ny1farm

broken wedge on jd

ok you broke the back of the wedge off and now you think omg what can i do. we let me tell you. no big deal. and once you try this you will say the same thing. take the wheel off the hub. now remove the axle with the hub still attached obviously with a floor crane or something. now what i did was after having the assembly off the tractor, i suspended the hub end on some forks on the loader with the housing and axle hanging down. with all wedge bolts loose i hit the axle down with a 25 lb. sledge hammer maybe 4 times and it comes right loose. worked on both sides of my tractor. so i have complete faith it will solve your problem. BRIAN.