The Mars1952 Polaris Ranger Five Cent Ebrake Fix

mars1952

Hi Folks:
My E-Brake was completely shot with no more room for adjustment. I figured out a way to add one fender washer to the brake lever assembly to get one more adjustment out of the worn out brake pads.
I posted a video on YouTube:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giB6xuOW6Eg"]The Mars1952 Polaris Ranger Five Cent Ebrake Fix[/ame]
Please Comment, share and "Like" my videos.
Thanks, Mars
P.S. A picture is worth a thousand words and a 10 minute video has about one hundred thousand pictures in it.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
great video and fix (mars) can i ask if you ever tried taking them pads to an auto parts store to see if they could match up some semi metalic pads for it??? but again great fix and great video .

mars1952

great video and fix (mars) can i ask if you ever tried taking them pads to an auto parts store to see if they could match up some semi metalic pads for it??? but again great fix and great video .

Hi Peanut: I did take them to a several local stores. None of them could help since you need a part number to find anything in a parts store now days. They did pull out a few pads but it was a hopeless cause. Anyway the problem with using new pads is that they are too thick, almost twice as thick as the OEM Ranger pads and you have to modify the brake assembly. The used pads that I used for this mod were worn down enough that they were just slightly thicker than the OEM pads and I could use all the OEM hardware.
Mars

mars1952

Hi Peanut: I for got to mention that to make new automotive pads fit in a Ranger you have to modify the whole carriage with longer bolts and longer sleeves etc. To make the welded used pads fit I just had to add a couple washers. It's in the video.
Mars

Woodchop

Could you make your own brake pads with Brass? Drill and counter sink 2 holes, tap and thread the brass and use brass screws to hold it to the backer plate. Could use JB weld in combination with the screws.

mars1952

Could you make your own brake pads with Brass? Drill and counter sink 2 holes, tap and thread the brass and use brass screws to hold it to the backer plate. Could use JB weld in combination with the screws.

Hi Woodchop: Using brass for the pads is an interesting idea. I wonder if it would grip as well a brake pad?
Mars

Woodchop

I have them on my 4 wheeler, cannot tell the difference in stopping distance. Brass pads do last a lot longer then the original ones, mud and sand ground the original pads down in a hurry.