Ant advice for somebody wanting to apply for a job at John Deere

diehardjohndeer

I'm 20 years old and wanting to apply for a set up or a mechanic job at a John Deere Dealer.Dad has been doing this line of work since he was 15 so I've been around it for as long as I can remember.I been workin for him since I 15 .Any suggestions or what to look for?

Luvmykubota

Don't know if you've landed an interview yet, but if not, here's my 2c worth. Ninety-five percent of your perceived value in an interview will be based on your attitude. I can teach you everything you'll need if your attitude is right. If I get the impression that you can't wait to get to work because you really love what you do, you're my man.

Good luck.

Carp

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Following up on Carp's point - In an interview if you can discuss that dealer's business, his challenges, and how you can help address those challenges better than anyone else - you've got the job.

Learn to think at this 'managerial' level and you will always land a job, in whatever field where you can genuinely add value to an employer.

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
And whatever you do, DON'T ask how much money you will make during the interview. That discussion will come in due time. In my past lives I interviewed lots of people and when they ask how much money the job pays during the early processes, it tells me that they are only interested in how much money they will make as opposed to showing interest in the job and a desire to get that job done.

Also as a side note, my Dad also was a mechanic when I was growing up back in the dark ages. I learned much more from him during my youth than I realized. I am impressed that you want to follow in his foot steps. It sounds like you have a passion for this work. Show me someone that has passion for their work and in all likelihood, I'll show you someone who is very good at it.

Please keep us posted. Go get 'em!