Versatile/Ford with Waukesha Diesel

junkfood

I'm not sure this is the right spot to post this but it may be a good place to start. I have a Versatile (now Ford) with a somewhat not too common Waukesha Diesel. The oil pan was picking up antifreeze so it was assumed that the sleeve O-rings were leaking. Upon tear down it was found by the mechanic that one of the sleeves was bad so it was replaced with a used one. (could only find used parts) All sleeve O-rings were replaced at that time. One in use again, and within a very short time, (10 hours maybe) we had antifreeze in the oil again. I'm not sure what other testes were performed but I'm now told that maybe the sleeves have some vertical play which causes them to move upward to the head and then the O-rings leak. Apparently the only solution is to have the block removed and the slack machined off the top of the block. I've also been told that Ford uses shims which are placed on top of the sleeves to take up the wear and prevent the verticle movement in these circumstance but none are available for this odd ball engine.

My plan is to take on this myself and do some pressure testing etc. and if this is in fact the problem, the easiest solution in my mind would be to have some shims made. Too simple? While all this is fine to say, does it sound like a valid explanation? I trust the mechanic but I can't keep having him tear down the engine just to explore.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi junkfood and welcome to Net Tractor Talk.

Hate to hear about the antifreeze in your oil. That's not good. But it could be due to:
a BLOWN HEAD GASKET, OR A CRACKED HEAD or CRACKED BLOCK, oil cooler o-rings, cylinder liner o-rings, failed e.g.r. cooler, etc.

Unless I was sure of where it's coming from I too would be leery of having the mechanic tear it down to cut it down. I'm looking for other tidbits that might help you and will post them here if I find any. good luck.