Frontier vs Howse Disc Harrow

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I got a bonus and was thinking of getting a disc for the Kioti DK40. I have been offered a Howse brand heavy duty 6' for $1550. It is 6' , 20" blades, with 9" between blades. 1 1/8 sq axle,over 900 lbsl weight. The J.D. Frontier is an 1166 @ 66", 18" blades and 7 1/2" between blades with 1 " axle . It weighs 660 lbs and it would around around $1500. What do ya'll think? The Howse sounds better but I was curious about it's reputation...... Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Update

I was just offered a 6' Howse with 22" blades for 1480. The howse sounds better and better-and it weighs closer to a 1000+ lbs. Save$ and get a bigger disc.The dealer is also closer. Bordercollie

urednecku

I don't know anything about the brands, but the heaver "per blade" weight I think would cut deeper. Better for "new" ground. Lighter would make a smoother finish cut. See if you could try them on your place.....would also help you determine how your tractor pulls it in various conditions.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had some Howse implements in the past. IIRC, they were decent but in the back of my mind, I believe I had an issue with the strength of the 3PH connections on their box blades. I think I kept bending it. Then again, I've bent them on all my implements, regardless of mfgr.

That price sounds too high. Amazon has it for $959+400 shipping = $1359.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Howse is right down there in your neck of the woods. I have one of their bush hogs. I would go for the bigger, heavier disc if your Kioti can pull it. The heavier the better with a disc. The bigger axle is a plus as well. See if it has greasable bearings on it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank ya'll for the replies. The one at Amazon (Northern tool) like the one I'm considering with 18" blades is just below the listing on the lighter ($959) weight disc and is $1399 plus if you can believe it over $600 shipping down here. The second offer I had of the one with 22" disc blades was an option only on the model higher up than even that one. #HT16022.@ 870 lbs and rated 40-60 hp. So , I would indeed be at the limit on the tractor hp as I have a Kioti DK40 4 wd. I saw the $959 at the first dealership and it really is light looking too. He said it wouldn't hold up for me when I ask him about it. I also priced a Tuffline in the $1800 range- just way too much for me. The second dealer assured me his 40 hp Kubota pulled the HT16022 well. I will sure keep checking and I see that Muleman is right in that the Howse is a Ms company so I wouldn't be paying for a lot of shipping. I still will call a few other places and let everyone know what I find out. Thank you all for the replies and they are all truly appreciated. http://www.howseimplement.com/pdfs/107-B RED HOWSE.pdf Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've heard too much bad on this brand so I'm saving my $ up and might just get a tiller later on. Bczoom had the right remembrances on this one! I may start a thread on the roto tillers to gather opinions. The Forum is sure a great source of information! Thanks!!!! Bordercollie